Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre - Provisioned incorrectly?

alexodwyer
Dabbler

Slow Fibre - Provisioned incorrectly?

Hi,

Hoping someone from PlusNet can help. I was upgraded to fibre today from adsl. I checked the speeds and I have 24 down and 5 up. Not great at all, when the minimum i should expect is apparently 70 down.

I phoned tech support and got this answer

"Customer called regarding low speed. Based on the checks that i have done on KBD,ECO and workplace, it appears that we placed an order for unlimited fiber extra and it's shows on eco plus as completed but however when running KBD the result is showing as customer is being provisioned on ADSL.

Transferred to PROV."

So I was transferred to another department and they gave me this answer

"As discussed your upgrade to Fibre order has completed today. For the first 10 days the speeds will vary as they start to stabilise. If you experience low speeds after the first 10 days please contact our technical team.

If you need any further help please do not hesitate to visit our help pages or contact us on our mobile friendly web chat at www.Plus.net. We also have a Youtube channel with information about our latest products and helpful guides should you have an issue, find this at https://www.youtube.com/plusnethelp"

Now, they can't both be right can they? Any help would be good, I'd rather not have to waste hours on the phone chasing up a mistake.

Thanks,

Alex

17 REPLIES 17
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Slow Fibre - Provisioned incorrectly?

There is no stabilization period for fibre. They are relating this fact to ADSL and not fibre.
Maybe a member of the plusnet team could run a GEA test.
Have you checked your hub one settings to see if its showing ADSL/ADSL2 or VDSL.. If it's showing ADSL then it's more than likely a provisioning error. Have you turned off the router and back on again to see if it makes any difference?
alexodwyer
Dabbler

Router shows VDSL and have restarted it a couple of times with no change.

Thanks for the info.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

24 down and 5 up isn't a provisioning error.

Are those speeds router synch speeds or speed test results ?

For synch speeds, are you connected to the rest socket to eliminate internal wiring problems ?

For speedtests, are they wired or wireless ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alexodwyer
Dabbler

Those are the sync speeds on the router. Router is connected to the master socket and BT have been out previously to sort the internal wiring.

Are you suggesting that neither of the people I spoke to from plus net were correct in their replies?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you suggesting that neither of the people I spoke to from plus net were correct in their replies?

Yes.

The first one said you were still on ADSL , well that couldn't be right, ADSL has a max downstream of 21ish and more importantly a max upstream of 1.2 !! ( and you've since confirmed the router shows VDSL )

The second one said wait 10 days, and as has been said earlier, there is no stabilisation period on FTTC.

So on to your problem, if it was a provisioning error the only likely error would have been to provision on a 40/2 product rather than an 80/20. If your line is capable of 70 , then on a 40/2 product it would have a downstream sync of 40 and not 25.

Your sync speeds indicate a fault somewhere or perhaps the estimate of 70 is incorrect ( BT have been known to get it wrong )

Sorry if I'm being pedantic but you say you are connected to the master socket, do you have a normal master socket with a removable faceplate and if so have you removed the bottom faceplate and connected directly to the test socket ?

edit: thinking about the first PN response a little more. The fact that some part of the 'system' thinks you're still on ADSL MIGHT indicate a error in the database somewhere which MIGHT be why your estimated speed could be wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alexodwyer
Dabbler

I'll have to check the master socket, it's bulky looking so probably is as you describe. Will give it a test in the test socket.

Dissapointing with plus net support at this point. The first guy was so miserable and had the communication skills of a peanut. The second one was friendly but clearly doesn't know the products. That alone is enough to make me want to leave plus net and go to BT. Although BT have their own problems.

I'll give it a couple more goes in the phone, but I've little patience for being given the run around.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does the master socket have separate DSL and phone sockets ?

or just one socket and you are using a DSL filter ?

alexodwyer
Dabbler

Master socket has separate connections
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sounds like it's the new NTE5c then http://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/engineering/bt-openreach-new-nte5c-master-socket-guided-tour/ . There's still a test socket behind the faceplate and so I'd still give that a try in order to completely rule out any interanl wiring problem. Just use a standard DSL filter and plug into the test socket

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

What does the DSL checker say about speeds available for your line (the A & B speeds)

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

alexodwyer
Dabbler

Not had a chance to check anything yet. But have some interesting info, our line was up until last month an EO line. We've now been connected to a fibre enabled cabinet.

Now, having canvased the local area, no one is getting the speeds they are supposed to. There are apparently numerous errors on openreaches end.

Should plus.net not be aware of such issues?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

So it looks like Openreach have messed up the migration to the new cabinet, could take a while to sort out, weeks or months maybe. PlusNet will know nothing about it unless you tell them what's going on so they can chase Openreach. All they look at is the checker which tells them if fibre is available.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hello Alex.

Sorry about the delayed response. I'm taking a look at this now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your patience.

I phoned tech support and got this answer

"Customer called regarding low speed. Based on the checks that i have done on KBD,ECO and workplace, it appears that we placed an order for unlimited fiber extra and it's shows on eco plus as completed but however when running KBD the result is showing as customer is being provisioned on ADSL.

So I was transferred to another department and they gave me this answer

"As discussed your upgrade to Fibre order has completed today.

Now, they can't both be right can they?

Whilst I'd tend to agree with this, they are both correct which is a bit puzzling.

And I am sorry to see that the second adviser didn't investigate this further.

Any help would be good, I'd rather not have to waste hours on the phone chasing up a mistake.

Digging into this, it looks like something's not updated on our suppliers end, given that your router is connected as VDSL and working, the modify to fibre is complete, and the line is testing as ADSL but out of sync.

I've discussed this with our suppliers and they've raised an activity on their end to update their records which should happen within half an hour. I've set myself a reminder to retest your line after that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet