cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Extra Line

pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Slow Fibre Extra Line

I have noticed a lot of threads seem to be saying very slow speeds on fibre extra, open reach told me our house was getting 70mb to the house when they last came out but not the router.

I was off yesterday and for about 5 min got 51mb

Can you check GEA test ?

12 REPLIES 12
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Slow Fibre Extra Line

Hi @pnpsuknet, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as the speeds are below your estimates as shown below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 48.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 15.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 689.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-06-17T14:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 40.1 Mbps 53.8 Mbps 50.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 12.9 Mbps 18.9 Mbps 15.3 Mbps
Up Time 664.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 7.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-06-25T13:05:18Z 2019-06-25T13:20:18Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If you have not done it already, we would need to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds improve. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of sending another engineer to have a look. Please let us know once you've done the above so we can progress the fault for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Hi we have done the test via test socket ad got the same, we have open reach out again tommorow.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Let us know how it goes please with the engineer visit @pnpsuknet

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pnpsuknet
Dabbler

If you haven't done so already, we need you to run a speed test on your connection. To get the most accurate result, it would be best to do this with a wired connection. That means connecting a computer or laptop to the router using an Ethernet cable. If you haven't got a laptop or Ethernet cable, you can still run the test over WiFi – just make sure you're in the same room as the router when you run the test. When you're ready, head to http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and follow the instructions to complete the speed test. Once it's complete, please update speed test results in ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/ In the meantime we'll run some tests at our end and we'll be in touch with you throughout the investigation. We've also got some advice on other things that could affect your broadband speeds that may help in the meantime, while we work on getting everything fixed. Our commitment under the Ofcom Speed Code of Practice means that if we can't manage to get your speed above the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 54.6Mbps we promised you by 26-07-2019 you'll be given the option to leave your contract early, without paying any termination fees. We'll not give up trying to fix a problem which might follow you to another provider, so in the unlikely event that it we haven't got to the root of your problem within 30 days, we'd ask you to contact us to discuss what you'd like to do. We'll keep in touch throughout our investigation.

Kind regards, Plusnet Customer Support www.plus.net

pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Hello Chantel, We're pleased to confirm that according to the information we have, we believe your broadband speeds are faster than the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 54.6Mbps we promised you. Don't forget that you can run a speed test at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (more info) and we have some advice on the things which can affect broadband speeds on our help pages. If you have any further concerns about the speed of your broadband please back in touch. Happy browsing!

pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Hello Chantel, We're sorry that it's taking us longer than we'd have liked to resolve your broadband speed issue. We are still working to resolve your issue, but need to make you aware that under our commitment to the Ofcom Speed Code of Practice, you are now able to exit your contract with us without penalty, as we have passed the date of 26-06-2019 to get your speeds above the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 54.6Mbps we promised . If this is something you wish to do, please contact our support team on 0800 432 0200, within the next 30 days in order for us to ensure that no early termination fees are applied to any final bills. Please note that other options may be available to you and we'll not give up trying to fix a problem which might follow you to another provider, so we'd ask you to contact us to discuss what you'd like to do.

pnpsuknet
Dabbler

I've checked back and unfortunately it looks like due to a system issue, our engineer appointment request didn't progress to Openreach. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. I've retested your line and I can see your speeds of 48.9mbps are within the estimates/expectations of your line shown Here of between 37.3mbps and 56.9mbps. It's possible the expectations of your line have dropped due to a variety of reasons however as this is the case and we're not finding any issues with your service, we'd struggle to report a fault back to our suppliers for another engineer to investigate further. As we're not able to fulfill your minimum guaranteed speed of 54.6mbps you'll have the option to leave Plusnet without any early termination fees, or downgrade to the cheaper 40mbps fibre package or continue as it is with both of us knowing how your service performs. If you want to discuss leaving us or downgrading, I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632. Again I do sincerely apologise that an engineer won't be attending this afternoon and that your speeds are within expectations. If however your speeds are considerably lower than 48mbps, please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.  Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation. Once you have completed this, please let us know by replying to this ticket so we can investigate your fault further.   Kind regards, Anoush Mortazavi
pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Sorry about all the messages, I got those within moments of each other. The way I see it is if you can not provide the 54mb plusnet have been in breach of contract all of the way along.

Really disappointed with this service

pnpsuknet
Dabbler

Engineer has just been out nothing wrong with my wiring, max line they say I will get is 47!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The way I see it is if you can not provide the 54mb plusnet have been in breach of contract all of the way along.

I'm afraid we can only advise of the estimates that are provided to us at the time of you agreeing the contract.

Looking at the response from Anoush, these estimates have changed during your time on this new contract and we are honouring your right to end the agreement in line with the Minimum Guaranteed Speed initially advised.

I'm do apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this has caused, however it does appear that having investigated this matter, we are providing the opportunity to leave without early termination fees, should you choose to.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pnpsuknet
Dabbler

By using the word guaranteed minimum that's miss selling,  my homes wiring was blamed for all of this I had to take a day off work for nothing and all along its down to you not been able to provide.  Can you have high level complaints us.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @pnpsuknet

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you've been miss-sold. The minimum guaranteed speed is a part of the Ofcom speed of practice as explained here.

With regards to your home wiring being blamed, we ask all of our customers to through internal checks before sending out an engineer to avoid you receiving a charge if the issue does turn out to be internal

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team