cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Broadband

rubble3
Grafter

Slow Fibre Broadband

We moved into our current property in December 2018 and transferred our Plusnet fibre broadband over from our previous house.

When we first got connected here I ran some speed tests and was getting consistent download speeds of 62+ and upload speeds of 18+.

I have just checked again and my download speed is now showing 42.4 and upload speed is 6.14. There has been a lot of activity locally with many Openreach vans in the immediate area and I wondered if this has had a temporary (I hope) effect on my BB speeds.

Is it possible to determine the cause of the substantial speed reduction and can I get any reassurance that the speed will recover to it's previous levels?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Slow Fibre Broadband

Hi @rubble3, thanks for getting in touch.

I have tested your line today and this shows your line to be in sync at 57.1mb, which is within the estimates for your line. The connection looks to be stable and no faults have been detected.

Though still above your minimum guaranteed 40mb, the 42.4mb is a little low in comparison to your sync speed... can you advise if this was obtained over a wired or wireless speed test?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rubble3
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, the speed test was done using the BT wholesale speed test over an ethernet connection to the PC

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @rubble3,

Thank you for confirming that this test was done over a wired connection. As our test from here hasn't picked up the problem, we'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of this.

We'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of the fault.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the guide here for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
rubble3
Grafter

Ok, 

Tested speed 3 times this morning - results as follows 1)  32.24/6.63/43 ping. 2) 41.60/8.37/ 43 ping. 3) 37.68/8.12/37 ping.

I have tried a quiet line test which seems ok. I then plugged router direct into the test socket (I have a Mk4 master socket) and got readings of 35.60/8.35/46 ping.

Please let me know if you need me to do anything else.

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @rubble3

Just to confirm were you recording or watching any internet channels via your YouView box at the time of the tests?

This would use a portion of your connection speed to do this would explain a drop in speed. If not can you raise the fault here and post back once you've done so

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rubble3
Grafter

Just checked again with definitely no Youview activity and got the following results 

39.20 Download

8.37 Upload

40 Latency

have now logged this as a fault

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for reporting the fault @rubble3

We've just sent you an update with the next steps on what we need you to do

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rubble3
Grafter

Any progress with this please?

I have just checked my speeds again and am getting 38.64/8.31/47 this is a massive reduction from the speeds we got 8 months ago and would appreciate some action to rectify things

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @rubble3 

I've tested your circuit again - here are the results;

GEA Test Detail

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed58.3 Mbps

Upstream Speed14.8 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Radio Frequency IngressNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Cross TalkNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres663.8

Upstream Rate AssessmentGood

Downstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Interference PatternRegular Interference Observed Daily

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Interference Duration Longest OccurrenceFrom12:45to19:30

Interference LocationCustomer Premise

Interference Observed In Days0

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Your router is syncing at 58.3Mbps download. This is within the 43.7-64.3 Mbps estimates as per DSL Checker and is also above your Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed of 40Mbps. No faults have been located on the line and everything looks good from our side of things.

The issue you are facing appears to be a throughput issue, rather than a sync speed issue. As this is the speed between your router and device, we are unable to manipulate this. 

Have you tried an alternate LAN cable and device? 

Thanks, 

MoR

**edited to remove BBEU as included by mistake 

rubble3
Grafter

Thanks,

I have just tried swapping the Ethernet cable from the router to the PC and running it from a different router port. I have also swapped the cable from the master socket to the router - none of this has made any difference.

I have attached a log from the router, is there anything there that suggests the source of the slow speed?

If this is in fact the best speed I can get I may as well look at downgrading the package as I seem to be paying a premium for a service which I am not receiving. Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@rubble3 

Have you tried plugging yout filter into the test socket, that's the one you access after taking the front off the master socket, and testing with no phone connected?

Also, are you by any chance on a fixed IP address? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks @rubble3.

Can you confirm, as @Baldrick1 asks, whether the testing was run from the test socket?

rubble3
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions,

I have already tried connecting the router to the test port via a filter but made no difference to speed reading.

I don't have a static IP either

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for confirming that, @rubble3.

As the wired speeds are now below the minimum estimates, I've raised the fault directly to Openreach (which will almost certainly progress to an SFI appointment) and we await their response.

We'd expect their update within the next 72 working hours and will update you directly when we do.