Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fiber Speed

kOhoka
Hooked

Slow Fiber Speed

Good morning Plusnet Community, 

I'm with plusnet since 2011 and never experienced so slow connection. I'm testing my speed for weeks if not months and never goes over 35Mbps, I've got the 78mbps package and always been around 70...

Please find uploaded 3 images from the latest speed tests.

I hope someone can help me to find the solution.

Speedtest done from a PC with 1gbps lan connection...

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Slow Fiber Speed

@kOhoka Welcome to the forums. I'm a little confused - you have been testing for weeks/months and have just decided to report an issue?

Two suggestions: (1) Carry out a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone, and select option 2 -  apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message, there should be no sound on the line - if there is, report a PHONE fault. (2) Post the Help Desk output from your router, but obscure/delete any personally identifying information.

John
kOhoka
Hooked

My reason why I wait so long is so simple, last time I had a problem they came out and done something on the pole and sorted the problem, then they came back a few days later without I ask them to do so and they said everything is ok so here is a £80 bill, so I want to make sure the problem is there all the time not just temporarily, I phoned plusnet to get this money back but they refused. I can't wait to end my contract and leave, I used this company in the past 8 years, but very dissatisfied in the last year with them.

I tried your 1) suggestion but it was a quiet line.

2) I'm using my own router, so that's not an option I think.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

OK - so a phone problem is eliminated. Which modem/router are you using - most will have some way of displaying the statistics we need?

John
kOhoka
Hooked

I've got an Asus RT-AC88U.

Thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Which modem do you use, and are you able to log into it to get any stats?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @kOhoka Smiley

Thanks a lot for reaching out, and I'm really sorry to hear about the speed issue on your line. This ought to be investigated as my tests as well are showing the line to be syncing well below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed. To start off, pleas run through our basic troubleshooting guide that can be found here.

When testing, if you can, please remove the faceplate from your master socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Run another speed test (preferably wired) while no other devices are connected, and see how you get on. Bare in mind that your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is 56.3Mbps. If the troubleshooting steps do not help, please respond to the ticket that I've just raised on your account.

I'll also pop my KBD results onto this post for you to have a look at.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1624
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CA
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 34.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.0 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 354.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-07-09T10:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 30.6 Mbps 60.9 Mbps 53.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 17.1 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 19.5 Mbps
Up Time 552.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 7.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
kOhoka
Hooked

Idk how to get to log into the openreach modem to get any stats, I checked my router but nothing, the modem connected via WAN so there is no internal IP address for it... any suggestion?

kOhoka
Hooked

How do I suppose to plug in this into this connection type?20210722_180854.jpg

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @kOhoka, thanks for getting back to us.
I'd advise instead of checking the router stats to see how the speeds are looking your side on a wired connection after plugging into the test socket. Making sure there's no other devices or applications heavily using the connection as not to skew the results of course.
It looks like the phone socket you have is pre-filtered so there wasn't a need for an ADSL filter however to plug into the test socket you will need the ADSL filter that was provided with the router.
Let us know how it goes and if the issues look to persist in the test socket as we'll happily help progress this issue further should it be needed.

kOhoka
Hooked

Thanks @BD, I looked everywhere but I don't have the adsl filter, as I never needed with this socket and the router was delivered 8 years ago, sorry.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @kOhoka, thanks for getting back to me and no worries if you can't find the ADSL filter.I've looked into and progressed the fault further on your account that requires your attention and can be seen here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=216370412

(You may need to be logged into the member center prior to clicking the link in order to add a comment)
Feel free to give us a nudge on here after updating the ticket and we'll happily look yo pick up and progress this issue further for you.