cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTTC Speeds

saadmahamood

Slow FTTC Speeds

Hello,
I've upgraded to plus.net FTTC from Sky ADSL2 service yesterday and I have a working connection. However, my FTTC speeds have remained stuck at 31Mbps since yesterday with no improvement over the last 24-hours. When I signed up plusnet I was hoping for speeds around the 60-72Mbps range. I did ring plusnet support who told me that I should wait for the 10 day period to see if my speeds will improve. When I go on this link: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed it states my estimated line speed is 72Mbps and current line speed is 78Mbps. Should I expect my speeds to improve dramatically over next couple of days or is there something wrong with my line that could cause such slow speeds?
Any help regarding this matter would be most appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Saad Mahamood.
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Slow FTTC Speeds

What are your estimates here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/? If you run the BT Speed Tester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and click on Further Diagnostics, what is your IP Profile?
saadmahamood

Hello,
Here is the information as requested:
BT Broadband Checker:

BT Wholesale Performance checker:

BT Wholesale Diagnostics:
Kevin
Rising Star

Were you checking via ethernet or wifi?
Kevin.
saadmahamood

All the speed tests were done via ethernet to the plusnet router. However, I don't see any significant differences via WiFi either.
AndyH
Grafter

It would look like something hasn't gone right with your install. You'll need to raise this as a fault.
You could try disconnecting from Plusnet from the router admin page, and then rebooting your Openreach modem.
It looks like you've either got an incorrect IP Profile or your connection sync speed is not correct based on your estimates.
saadmahamood

After rebooting my openreach modem it seems that my speeds have regressed further:

I will need to raise a fault ticket with Plusnet. I can do that online or would I have to call?
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Saad,
I'm sorry to read of the problems you are experiencing with your speeds, I can see that you have been able to raise a fault ticket online this afternoon and our faults team should be back in touch within the next 72 hours.
Thanks
saadmahamood

Just an update regarding this. I had an BT Openreach engineer come round on Tuesday who changed the configuration of my telephone sockets from a star to line network with the secondary telephone socket running off the main master socket. He also fixed the filter installation on the master socket which wasn't done properly by the Kelly communications. This seems to have improved my sync speeds from 32Mbps to 52.4 Mbps:

Telephone number:
01224XXXXXX
Phone exchange:
ABERDEEN KINGSWELLS
Estimated line speed:
72Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-04 16:57:01
Current line speed:
52.4 Mb

The engineer ran also two speed tests:
- Engineer XPhone speed tests
- GEA service speed test
Both of these report that the D/L speed to be 54.3 Mbps and the U/L to be 20 Mbps. However, these speeds don't seem to obtainable from using the BT Wholesale speed tester which game D/L speeds of 26.24 and U/L speeds of 12 U/L. I'm not sure why there is so much difference between what the BT Openreach engineer was able to attain versus what is obtainable in reality.