Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Download Speeds

alextyman
Dabbler

Slow Download Speeds

Hi,

I've been with PlusNet for about 15 months now and everything has been fine, slower speeds than expected, but after several BT engineer visits it seems like I'm stuck with the speed I am (was) getting of mid-to-high 20Mbps. See my previous thread for all my tests on that subject if needed here.

Anyway, for the past couple of weeks I've noticed the download speeds seem to be dropping down to 15Mbps to 19Mbps. I've tried all the usual actions of rebooting the router etc etc (again see the list of things I try in my previous thread), but I haven't had any meaningful increase in speed.

The registered download speed in Member Centre > Broadband > Current Line Speed says it's 17.5Mbps, which I would say is accurate, but obviously much lower than my realistic speeds and the guaranteed speed of 31.1Mbps.

Is there any tests that can be done on your (PlusNets) end to see if you can kick it back into life, or do I need to order another BT visit to do another DLM reset?

Thanks very much

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow Download Speeds

Thanks for your post @alextyman 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection speed.

We've tested your line and we can see that your speeds are quite poor compared to the estimates for your line and also below your minimum guaranteed access line speed (Or MGALS) for short.

Can you raise a fault by going here and post back once you've done so?

This will allow us to get that picked up straight away for you

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Tag fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alextyman
Dabbler

Thanks for your response @MatthewWheeler 

I have done as you asked and raised a fault and gone through the BT wholesale test as instructed.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I need to do.

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @alextyman,

Thanks for raising the fault and for letting us know on here. I've raised a response via the ticket, which can be viewed here. Once you've had the chance to read and respond to the ticket, please let us know and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

I have added a comment to the ticket regarding my availability for an engineer visit.

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @alextyman,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. I've reviewed the ticket and raised a further response, which can be viewed here. If you need to make any amendments then please update the ticket again and let us know on here once you've done so.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ,

The OpenReach engineer has been round this morning and tested the line and it was reading around 48Mbps to the wall socket, he also tested my cable to the router which read the same.

He performed a DLM reset and tested the line for some time to check for any abnormal errors of which there were none.

We then connected the router and it was reading a downstream value of 43.3Mbps (Advanced Settings > Broadband > Connection), however we ran several speedtest.net tests on several devices (wired and wireless) with no other devices connected and we were constantly getting around 28Mbps. Which is better than the previous ~15Mbps, but still not what the engineer was expecting as there is a loss of around 15Mbps from the router to any device.

He therefore concluded that it could well be my router that is at fault and I should contact you for a possible replacement.

He said that he would file a report on his visit shortly after he left, which I assume he has probably done by now.

Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back in touch @alextyman.

I've just reviewed the engineers notes and can see that he does indeed state that he suspects the router to be at fault. Due to this, I've just dispatched a new one to you via 1st class post and it should reach you within the next 3-5 days.

Please let us know when it arrives, so that we can arrange for any downtime you've experienced to be credited against the account.