Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Download Speeds again

alextyman
Dabbler

Slow Download Speeds again

Hi,

I've been with PlusNet for about 18 months now and I'm very pleased with the customer support, however I'm continuously going through the cycle of:

• Getting slower speeds than expected
  • BT engineer coming out, testing and finding nothing wrong and resetting the DLM
  • Getting good speeds which then gradually fall over the next few weeks/months

These are links to my previous 2 main messages about this issue:

Last time I had a BT engineer out (December 2019) they found no issues with the line, ran the test for quite some time and no abnormal errors detected. He performed a DLM reset and I was getting ~45Mbps, however the router didn't seem to want to acknowledge this and sat at around 25Mbps, so PlusNet gave me a new router which got me much closer to the line speed the BT engineer found.

This time I'm getting download speeds of around 18Mbps, the router says it's connected at 21Mbps and my MGALS is rated at around 30Mbps (it used to be 31Mbps, but it dropped slightly when I renewed my contract a month or so ago).

One other thing I have noticed is that my router frequently (every few days) disconnects at night (around midnight/1am) for a few minutes (it always comes back and my devices reconnect to the internet when available). From what I gather, frequent disconnects like this will cause the broadband infrastructure (BT's equipment somewhere!) to lower the speed to try and get a stable connection for a longer period of time and once that is achieved it will try and increase the speed (I have never witnessed an automatic speed increase though). This seems like it could be the reason of my gradual continuous decrease in download speeds, but as it manifests itself over several weeks/months the BT engineer can't detect it when he comes to my house. Obviously this is just speculation on my part and I could be completely incorrect!

Is there any tests that can be done on your (PlusNets) end to see if you can kick it back into life, or do I need to order another BT visit to do another DLM reset?

Thanks very much

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Slow Download Speeds again

Thanks for your post @alextyman and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems again. While testing your line is showing the line to be artificially restricted by the DLM software at the cabinet, your sync rate doesn't appear to be reaching the banding, so I've booked an engineer visit for you to investigate this further and reset the DLM the old fashioned way. 

I've added details of the appointment on to your fault ticket Here. Let us know how it goes on the day. If you get further problems after that, we may have to escalate this with our suppliers before we arrange another engineer. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

The Engineer has just left after resetting the DLM (well I assume that's what he's done, he did all the work outside). Anyway, my router is now showing connected at 48.6Mbps in the Hub Manager. However any speedtest that I do still shows the old speed of around 16Mbps (I've tried laptop wired/wireless and my mobile phone). This is what happened last time (December 2019).

I've restarted the router a few times, no change. I've even reset it (backup up settings and then later restored), but no difference there either.

Is there anything else that you can suggest? 

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @alextyman 

I've increased the profile on your account to reflect your router's new sync speed.

Can you try rebooting your router one more time and retest afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

Sorry for the late reply, but I did a speedtest last night after you increased the profile on my account and I was getting 46Mbps which is good. I did another test just now and got 45Mbps.

I did get a disconnect early in the morning (3am I think) and I'll keep an eye of that as if I get too many my speed will start to drop too much, I hope it will stabilise around 30Mbps which is my MGALS.

One thing I did notice last night when I was playing online (CoD MW on PS4 fyi), there did seem to be quite a bit of lag every 30 seconds or so, but I'm guessing that is due error on the connection as it is running faster than it is happy with.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks, but initial results look promising.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @alextyman no problem and thanks for the post back. It's good to see your speed has improved. Yeah I'd recommend giving it about 10 days or so as errors may occur (and result in latency spikes) as the line tries to find the most stable speed. 

Let me know how it goes (Not played CoD in ages, I need to get back into it. Good game!)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet