cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow DNS resolution and/or latency issues

blythy

Slow DNS resolution and/or latency issues

Hi there, I'm looking for a little help on how best to debug an issue where webpages and apps intermittently take an age to load data. It appears to be the initial handshake that takes the time but once the connection has been made the data downloads fairly fast, though that could be a placebo effect of the slow initial connection. However, I've just run a couple of tests on speedtest.net and currently averaging <25mb which is way below what I'd expect (tested against a few servers).

It happens both on wired and wireless devices. In the browser a couple of refresh attempts seem to work but for apps where that's not possible (e.g. YouTube) it just seems to hang forever. Some apps actually detect that I'm offline due to the high latency despite having full wi-fi signal. It's got to the point where at home I prefer my mobile data over my fibre broadband and that shouldn't be the case when paying double the mobile plan price!

Thanks,

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Slow DNS resolution and/or latency issues

Have you tried a different DNS setting? I'd suggest trying OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) or Google (8.8.4.4 amd 8.8.8.8 ) to rule slow DNS resolution out.

If downloads are also lower than expected you should post stats here, and someone can probably advise. SNR and errors can often indicate what the problem may be.

blythy

I had a quick look on the Hub Manager to change the DNS settings but it looks like they're not configurable. I've changed my phone DNS in the short term but I can't manually manage every device that connects to my network (especially for my work equipment). A quick test on my phone shows significantly snappier performance but I'll keep using to get a better idea.

Pardon my ignorance but where's the best place to get stats like SNR and errors?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I'm afraid I don't use a router supplied by Plusnet, so I'm not familiar with what is/isn't possible with it. If you post the exact model here I'm sure someone will be able to tell you how to get the stats and/or change the DNS settings.