cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow DNS performance

ruffage
Dabbler

Slow DNS performance

Is anyone else getting pitiful response times with nslookups?  For the last few days it's taken ages to complete the loading of webpages, quite often giving up with red Xs where images should be.
So I changed my DNS servers to use Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and bingo, fast nslookups and fast page loading.  I've since changed it on the router too, rather than re-configure every device I have.
Just wondered if I was alone with my issue or not?
19 REPLIES 19
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Slow DNS performance

What device and operating system are you using that has (had) problems?
There are a couple of existing threads about similar/related problems in specific circumstances, Google DNS also seems to be a "quick fix".......
What router is it?
ruffage
Dabbler

Both were Windows 8 PCs.  I'm new to Plusnet so on the Technicolor TG582n  Undecided
Typically after posting, I've just found your thread in the other section!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: ruffage
Just wondered if I was alone with my issue or not?

As you have found, there does appear to be a problem with Windows 8 PCs using the Plusnet DNS.
However Windows 8 or not,  I have been here 15 years, and frequently benchmark various DNSes to ensure I'm using the fastest and most reliable.
Google DNS has ALWAYS been faster and more reliable than Plusnet DNS,  and OpenDNS is usually faster than Google.

I gave up using Plusnet DNS years ago, and the improved reliability of web page loading was immediately noticeable.
Using Google DNS,  OpenDNS,  or the Hurricane Electric DNS is a no-brainer,  no downside,  just do it.

I've just done a DNS benchmark, which shows the fastest DNS at the top, and getting slower down the chart.
The first two are on my home network, next comes OpenDNS and Hurricane Electric that are about the same, followed by Google, and slowest is Plusnet.  Note that Plusnet 212.159.13.50 is also showing a reliability issue.  I ran the test three times and got the same results, other than the Hurricane Electric moved up and down a couple of places.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'd definitely recommend OpenDNS. I saw a notable improvement in web page load times when someone on the forums here put me onto it and I switched over.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: ruffage
So I changed my DNS servers to use Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and bingo, fast nslookups and fast page loading.  I've since changed it on the router too
Did you find an easy/backdoor way of doing that, or did you have to run the setup wizard?
Anonymous
Not applicable

HPsauce
Pro

Well yes, but I was asking what the OP did.  Wink
And I tried that method but after telnet into the router it didn't recognise the first command: dns server route list  Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

What router do you have, and what firmware is on it ?
Does this work ? -
dns server forward dnsset list

The other thing to try is, when at the telnet command prompt try entering -
dns ?

or
dns server ?

and that should list the available options.
Wink
HPsauce
Pro

TG582n, same as the OP. Latest firmware 10.2.2.B.EH
Yes "dns server forward dnsset list" list the PN servers, both with metric 10.
I'd been exploring the command tree, but not being familiar with it hadn't got to that branch.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do these instructions work ? - http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnsr10
HPsauce
Pro

Ah, that looks more relevant, will investigate tomorrow. Thanks.  Cool
Dezz
Dabbler

There are different command sets for versions of the router firmware. The newer (v10 -) are here: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnsr10
I've been on PlusNet a few weeks so have the newer v10, had this problem and changed to Google DNS by issuing the following commands (from the above URL):
dns server forward dnsset flush Clear
dns server forward dnsset add set=0 dns=8.8.8.8 metric=0 intf=Internet
dns server forward dnsset add set=0 dns=8.8.4.4 metric=0 intf=Internet
dns server forward dnsset list
saveall
The list command will show you the current DNS server settings.
HPsauce
Pro

Just out of interest, all the examples show both DNS servers being given the same metric.
One comment I saw in one of these related threads suggested that if they were the same it might be contributing to the problem.
So ought they to be set to 0 and 1 if the PN ones are 10? (Though I would presumably remove these anyway?)
Dezz
Dabbler

Yeah, I read that too and was going to be my next change, if needed, but it's been behaving fine ever since. And this will prove/disprove that theory if it works or fails.
The dns server forward dnsset flush Clear wipes the current DNS server settings and the dnsset add set adds/appends new ones.