Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband

sharoncj
Dabbler

Slow Broadband

Hi,

I upgraded my account to unlimited fibre extra and am not receiving the speeds I should. I had a guaranteed speed of over 50 and am only getting speeds of around 31.

I have done all the tests requested on the website and nothing has changed. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Slow Broadband

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@sharoncj

Screen shot results from these sites:https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL (ensure your phone number is obscured) and BTW Performance Tester  (please report advanced diagnostics) would be a start, plus sight of the Troubleshooter tab from your router (delete personally identifiable data) would be a start if members of the Community are to be able to help.

Do you have a laptop/desktop computer - screenshots from the are much easier to read?

John
jab1
Legend

@sharoncj Slight edit to my post above: It is the 'Help Desk' tab under the Troubleshooter one that we need.

John
sharoncj
Dabbler

Hi John,

I have attached screenshots taken from my laptop.

Sharon.

sharoncj
Dabbler

Screenshot attached as requested.

Sharon.

jab1
Legend

@sharoncj Sorry for the late reply. Your BT Broadband report places you quite close to the cab, and the latest test report on there (a month old) says your connection at the master socket was good.

However, the Speed Test you ran this morning shows there is something wrong somewhere - the high ping is a little concerning. Was the test over wireless, or a cable connection?

Can you please post your routers Help Desk report - obscuring personal details and try a Quiet Line Test - Dial 17070 option 2 from a preferably corded handset - once the test starts, you should hear nothing on the line apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message. If there is any noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
sharoncj
Dabbler

Hi John,

I have attached the help desk report. I done the reports over a cable connection & the quiet line test shows no noise.

Sharon

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that last post, Sharon. I am now totally confused - apart from the fact that you are on a router software release which is known to cause wireless problems - so not relevant in this  case, there is nothing on there to suggest any problem. How long has it been like this? - looking at your data sent/received figures, it can't be that long.

John
sharoncj
Dabbler

Hi,

Probably about in the last month I'd say, I upgraded to fibre extra as it guaranteed me the speeds of over 50 but it has never seemed to improve even after the upgrade.

Sharon

jab1
Legend

OK. As I said, your connection as far as the router looks to be perfect - which is the end-point for Plusnet/BT responsibility, so I doubt they would be very inclined to investigate, to be honest.

Looking at your data sent/received figures on the Help Desk report, can I ask - do you have a permanently running application such as a cloud back-up? If this is the case, then the actual upload/download speeds have a reason. When doing a speed-test, there should be nothing else running on your home network, and having a constant background operation running will severely impact your performance.

John
sharoncj
Dabbler

Hi John,

I have one drive on there but no cloud back up.

Sharon 

jab1
Legend

OK - just humour me, please - disconnect One-Drive and try another (wired) test?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

use the stop synching option for one drive.
it'd be odd if that were the cause - especially on the down stream.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

@dvorak Agreed @dvorak - but it was just a thought.😉

John