cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband

suke
Grafter

Slow Broadband

Can some one take a look at my broadband please?  Just done a BT performance test and get 6.22 down and 7.22 up

Have rebooted the router 2 days ago which brought the speed up but has dropped down again to the above and occasionally dropping out altogether.

15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow Broadband

Thanks for getting in touch @suke 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. While testing your line today the tests aren't showing any results as we'd expect, which may either be due to a system error or a symptom of the problem affecting your service.

So I've raised a fault with our suppliers and we'd expect more information over the next 24 to 72 hours. We'll provide you with an update on this ticket once we know more. Feel free to post back to let us know of any changes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your patience @suke 

We've tested your line and while the tests aren't showing any issues, I can see your connection has been dropping out which would likely be the underlying cause for this.

I'd recommend running through the steps in the troubleshooting guide here to rule out any internal wiring affecting your connection: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you continue to experience connection problems, before we arrange an engineer visit I'd like to send you a new router to further narrow down where the problem may lie. Let us know if you'd want us to and we'll be happy to arrange this.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, please could you reply to this this ticket with your availability for an engineer to visit posting back once you've responded and we'll get the appointment booked in as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Nothing has changed regards the wiring, while the router has always been plugged directly into the Master Socket and never been moved from there.  Please send the new router as it seems that everytime the speed drops, if i reset the router the speed comes back up, but this now seems to be getting more frequent

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @suke 

While I understand you've said that nothing has changed, I'm afraid it's not uncommon for a fault to develop at any moment in time so I still think it'd be a good idea to try the test socket which will rule out your internal wiring and faceplate.

I'm also sending you a new router which you'll receive next week. Let us know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

As of yesterday 9/12/19 at approx. 16.30 my router has been plugged into the test point of the master socket.  Speed this morning is down to 7 mbps from its usual 30 odd.  Have a look at the stats and see whats happening now?

Also yesterday morning i received a call on the landline where there was an awful lot of crackling and noise on the line.  I suspect this has something to do with my problem.

Will wait for the new router to arrive and then see where we go from there.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @suke,

There's definitely a problem testing on your line, looks to be a high resistance fault or a corrosion fault. Can you raise this here and let us know when you have and we'll get it progressed for you. In the final screen asking for 'any further notes' please put some availability for an engineer visit and we'll get this arrange too. HR faults and the like, while they're external, are now classed as appointed visits so we' 'll need to book an engineer to access the premises. 

suke
Grafter

I have now done as requested.  The new router has come and also been installed.  While the speed has been up and down since I did this, yesterday 10/11/12 at approx. 16.00 hrs, it is pretty constant at the moment at 30mbps, so I am not sure whether the router has done the job or we still have a problem.

If an engineer is required this can be any time as someone is home every day

suke
Grafter

Seems i spoke to soon.  Speed has now dropped again to about 9mbts

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @suke 

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing problems.

Could you possibly add a reply to your fault ticket Here with the requested information? Just keeps things documented on your account. If you can post back afterwards we'll make sure this is picked up as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

I have replied to the Fault ticket and await the reply

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @suke 

I've booked your engineer visit for tomorrow morning between 8am and 1pm to investigate the fault further.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

So BT engineer turned up, puts his test equipment on and says yes your speed is only 8-9 mbps.  OK i know that.  Does further tests and says its a weird one this.  OK i know that as well.  So in between him putting his test gear in and then putting the router back in the speed goes back up to 30 mbps.  Yes i say it does that every time you reboot the router and then after a while the speed drops again.  This is the new router by the way.  So engineer says i'll go and look at some other jobs but keep my eye on your connection to see what happens.  This was yesterday at 14.30.

Since then i have heard nothing from the BT engineer, so perhaps you can tell me whats happening because the speed again at the moment has dropped to 8-9 mbps?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@suke,

I'm going to be honest I don't think you're going to hear anything from that engineer either, the fault's been passed back to us as 'no fault found' and listed it as either an equipment issue or wifi related, so it's going to have to go down the router of another booked visit. That previous high resistance fault is now no longer showing on the line so that's been resolved externally although there are no notes on the job to clarify what exactly was done to rectify this.

Can you update the ticket again with some more availability and we'll get it arranged for you. 

Before we do that I just want to double check this issue with your throughput is this on all devices (wired and wireless). Can you provide an speedtest from a wired and a wireless device? 

suke
Grafter

If he didn't do anything then i think it must be a miracle.  Checked the speed the day after on the Friday 29.57mbps.  Wifi speed 32.43 mbps

Saturday speed 32.34 mbps.  Wifi speed 30.70 mbps

Sunday speed 32.51 mbps.  Wifi speed 32.38 mbps

How do you explain that if he didn't do anything.

He showed me the stats and my problem started around the 25th of November and continued until he arrived on the 12th of December.  All seems ok at the moment!!!