Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband in the evenings

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Slow Broadband in the evenings

Gandalf wrote:

Next door have sky fibre is OK

If the problem does lie on the BTW equipment, then it's unlikely a Sky customer would be affected as I believe in a lot of exchanges Sky have an LLU presence which means they'd use their own equipment.

@Gandalf

I am not trying to catch any-one out, I am showing my ignorance of how LLU works with a fibre connection and seeking a simple explanation.

As I understand it LLU involves companies such as Sky putting a cabinet in the local telephone exchange and the wires being disconnected from the BT cabinet and connected to the Sky one. Hence telephone and ADSL is physically moved to Sky's hardware.

However, the fibre cabinet is downstream from the exchange so the consumers cable is linked to the fibre cabinet before the cable is 'unbundled'. So the question is whether VDSL internet is physically 'moved'. Scenarios I can envisage:

1. Sky have their own street cabinet, I've never heard of one.

2. Sky have their own modules in the BT street cabinet.

3. Sky have their own fibre feed from the street cabinet multiplexer.

4. LLU operators data is not physically unbundled and it is just a routing change somewhere along the line.

If the OP's problem is associated with congestion this could be significant in finding the cause, for example, could it be a faulty or overloaded module in the street cabinet and the Sky customer is connected to a different module?.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sky use Openreach FTTC equipment so exactly the same as other ISPs, however they will use their own back haul from the head end exchange which could have no congestion whereas BT's links could be over utilised. It's not traditional LLU.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@RealAleMadrid. Thanks for the explanation.

As I now understand it each cabinet has a fibre feed back to the local 'head end' exchange from where LLU customers data would be stripped out and then independently transmitted on. So if there is a congestion problem it cannot be downstream of the head end exchange unless both Sky and Openreach customers are affected. If it is upstream of the head end exchange then all ISPs on the Openreach (but not Sky) fibre would be affected. So the only area downstream of the head end exchange where there could be an issue that is not causing a widespread problem is if there was a dodgy Line Card channel.

I'm sure it's more complicated then this and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

br043871
Grafter

Any update from Plusnet?
br043871
Grafter

Still no update.
Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

For those who maybe interested in this

https://ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications/raising-a-company-complaint

9. If the problem isn’t sorted out within eight weeks from the date that you first told the company about the problem, or you are unhappy with what the company has done to sort it out, contact us. You can complain using the form on this website or by calling 0330 440 1614. We will ask questions about your problem so get out the notes you have taken of the calls you have made and received and the letters you have sent and received. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two posts released from Spam Filter and duplicate removed.

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Please dont control with people problems when complaining I have now sent him a pm and please dont delete it

Good luck br043871

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
br043871
Grafter

Getting on for two weeks now. 45 min wait on the phones, no online chat available. When I log in to where I originally logged the call it just tells me that Plusnet will be in touch. All that leaves me is this forum and I'm not getting an update here. Still managing to take the money though.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It looks like there was a high amount of usage flowing through your connection at the time BT speedtest was completed.

Can you re-run BT Speed test, completing the further diagnostics, whilst there are other no devices using the connection and all background tasks on the computer you're using are closed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Gandalf  BT speedtester still giving unreliable  results on Firefox,,, test done consecutive 

bt test.JPGTBB.JPG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Seems fine on Pale Moon x64, latency looks high but I am streaming Now TV at the same time.

171219 btw speed.png

br043871
Grafter

I have uploaded yet another speed test, can't believe we are two weeks in and this is how far we have got.
br043871
Grafter

Can someone confirm that they are testing this betwen 6PM and midnight? I have said from the start that this is when the problems are occurring.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi there.

Time of day would not have an impact on testing on our end. I can see the issue is back with the Faults Team and they will continue to investigate now that you have run clean speed tests.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@LaurenB  There are now several separate user threads reporting evening slowdown in performance and as discussed in this thread it is potentially a network congestion issue rather than an individual line problem?  Has a check been performed on which exchanges the current complainants are connected to to look for any commonality in network routing / performance degradation during the affected hours?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.