cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband Speeds Again!!!

voctave
Grafter

Slow Broadband Speeds Again!!!

I am subscribed to the fastest internet speed up to 72MBPS.

I have had previous issues with slow broadband speeds - more recently in Oct 2021, engineer came and said they needed to move the master socket. The speed did improve but now I am experiencing slow speeds for the past 6 weeks ie only 16-17 MBPS. Uploads speeds are worse.

I would appreciate if someone can look into this to be fixed again.

Stats of line check as attached which is self-explanatory. Tests were done with a wired connection using the Plusnet hub and with the master socket. No issue with phone line test ie no crackling.

Can anyone explain why my speeds are so slow?!!broadband3.pngbroadband4.png

Moderators Note: All caps title removed as per Forum rules

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: SLOW BROADBAND SPEEDS AGAIN!!!

@voctave I appreciate you have provided two of the requested items in the list below, so no need to repeat, but the other information requested could throw more light on the issue.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@voctave You have some very strange results from the BT speed test with a download speed almost double the IP profile which should not be possible. You have had stupidly low sync speeds on the 9th of May of 16.49Mbps and 2.29Mbps upload. You should be getting 80/20 speeds. Are you able to test if your phone works? I suspect you have a break in one line of your incoming pair of wires so the phone will not function. You need to raise a speed fault with Plusnet as suggested by @jab1 

voctave
Grafter

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

Is there any point doing this ? I usually use a Draytek Vigor but switched to Hub one for the purposes of diagnostic tests today

Phone line works as normal

I will try and take the front off the master socket tomorrow and do more tests, I suspect will be the same. I am just highly dissatisfied this issue keeps recurring and will not plan to continue with Plusnet given the recurrent similar issues

jab1
Legend

If you supply the extra information this will give, maybe we can spot the problem, and maybe help the PN HT to know where to look, although, as @RealAleMadrid says, this looks like a broken wire.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@voctave wrote:

I am just highly dissatisfied this issue keeps recurring and will not plan to continue with Plusnet given the recurrent similar issues

It does not matter which ISP you are with, they all use the same BT infrastructure - unless you have access to a cable provider such as Virgin Media.  Changing ISP will not change your circuit.

To resolve issues, you need to engage with the diagnostic process.  Using the Plusnet supplied router give Plusnet access to diagnostic data which can be helpful in identifying what is going wrong.  At this juncture, running DATA speed tests is probably not the most productive approach.  You need to forget how much data you can pull / push up your line and like at the raw line performance which is why @jab1 and @RealAleMadrid requested sight of the line stats from the router.  Key metrics are: line speed (incorrectly labelled DATA speed); Max speed (theoretical figures); SNRM (critical figure) and attenuation.

If you can run with the Hub One (a "re-skinned" BTHH5a) then that works well with a customised version of routerstats - see the link below.  Running that 24x7 (10 second sample rate / 720 points per plot) can provide good insight as to what is happening on your line and why the DLM is restricting the speed.

One big issue with copper circuits is that damp joints create intermittent issues.  The act of testing a line (dialling out or receiving a call) can temporarily fix such faults.  Running router stats will identify problematic SNRM variability.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

voctave
Grafter

bb1.pngbb2.pngbb3.png

Ok as recommended I have followed all of your instructions:

I removed the front plate of the NTE 5C master socket - attached the splitter provided in the Plusnet hub box to the master socket behind the front plate and attached the Plusnet hub one into it to do all these tests. Results of tests as above including data from the Plusnet hub one.

I did a quiet line test via master socket too with an old-fashioned corded phone: results are normal, I could not detect any noises or problems. I was able to ring my landline without issues.

I will log a speed fault now but still confused as to why I am having these ongoing problems.

jab1
Legend

Looking at your Help Desk page, your SNR figures are horrible - this certainly won't be helping, but we need to know why they are so bad - an investigation by BT/OR is required.

As an aside, although I doubt it is really relevant, your software release is way out of date - maybe @bobpullen could sort that for you.

As mentioned earlier by @RealAleMadrid your BTw test report says you are getting around twice your profile speed, which again - to me - points to a BT network issue.

A fault report is essential.

John
voctave
Grafter

I am trying to log the issue to Plusnet and the link doesn't even work!!!! 😡 😂

https://faults.plus.net

jab1
Legend

In what way does it not work?  Sorry I can't test it as I am no longer with PN as a customer.

John
voctave
Grafter

The link simply doesn't work...can someone else please try. its definitely not my internet connection as I had to resort to using my mobile 4G as the wifi is so bad

https://faults.plus.net

jab1
Legend

Well, it certainly works for me using your link - I still have an email-only service, so can log in, but obviously not raise any tickets. What happens when you click it?

John
voctave
Grafter

finally working now thanks for ur help

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@voctave - a quicker route might be using the text service detailed here.

Regarding your Hub One firmwre being out of date. It's unfortunately so old that remotely upgrading it is not an option. You're essentially 'stuck' on that version.

I would offer to send a replacement but as I'm assuming you favour the Draytek, there's probably little point?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

voctave
Grafter

for now I'll stick to Draytek

it's been a week, speed has stayed the same, still no replies from Plusnet after reporting the speed fault 😫😡