cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband Speed - HELP

edydallas22

Slow Broadband Speed - HELP

Hello Plusnet Team,

Currently, it's been about 2 weeks since I've had Plusnet activated, and I have the highest package you guys have (Unlimited Broadband Extra Fibre), which says the download speed should be up to 76 Mbps. All good so far.

I have waited this long because I was hoping the line would settle itself out, but unfortunately it hasn't. Here are the speed test results that I have done at the time of writing this post:

Download: 19.85 Mbps
Upload: 12.78 Mbps
Ping: 24 ms

My true download speed (for example when downloading a game from Steam) struggles to reach 2 MB/s. which is what it should be for a 19.95 Mbps download speed. My issue is, why is a contract of up to 76 Mbps only doing just under 20 Mbps ?

I have migrated from a different ISP, where the broadband speeds were exactly what they were specified in the contract. I also have the exact same cables and home configuration. The only things I have changed are the router and the ADSL filter, so the problem shouldn't be at my end.

I am a hardcore PC gamer and internet is very important for me. I also download stuff almost daily, including movies, watching Netflix, YouTube-ing, watching live streams, etc. 

Help would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Slow Broadband Speed - HELP

Let me look into this for you.

[edit]

I've made some changes to your account which should have fixed this.

Can you test it again?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
edydallas22

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the fast reply. I have retested my broadband speeds and here are the results:

Speedtest.net
dl47ul12ping14.PNG

Steam Download:
Steam.PNG

Obviously the speeds have improved and I appreciate that, but one thing I would like to mention is when I'm using the Speedtest.net tool, it also shows the a server location and my location. Before my initial post, the locations were somewhere in the north of England close to Scotland, and now after you have done some changes, it shows in London, and the thing is I'm in Devon. Could setting my location to the right location increase the speeds further more ?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hey there. Speed test results can vary depending on how fast the speedtester server responds. I'd recommend testing your speed by going to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

We use that one for raising faults to our suppliers, so we know it's reliable. (Unless you're raising a fault, you can ignore the red preamble)

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
edydallas22

Hi and thanks for your post Anoush.

I have tried http://speedtest.btwholesale.com as well as other 3rd party speed testers and they all show the same, around 48 Mbps download speed (which is nowhere near the contract's supposed speed of 76 Mbps).

Now I'm not being a hypocrite and don't want to offend anyone, I am aware that signal loss can occur in some cases, but if for a 76 Mbps contract I get 48 Mbps, what would I get for, let's say, a 28 Mbps contract... 0 Mbps ? I was only hoping it would be just an overlooked setting or something that would fix this issue, but oh well ...

In any case, I'll investigate this furthermore, and possibly improve the hardware in the house as much as I can, which hopefully will increase the speed a bit.

If anyone else knows how to improve internet speed issues (without having to rewire the entire neighbourhood :D), please let me know. I will also come back to this post with updates if anything changes. Thanks

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@edydallas22 wrote:

ow I'm not being a hypocrite and don't want to offend anyone, I am aware that signal loss can occur in some cases, but if for a 76 Mbps contract I get 48 Mbps, what would I get for, let's say, a 28 Mbps contract... 0 Mbps ? I was only hoping it would be just an overlooked setting or something that would fix this issue, but oh well ...

With FTTC there are various factors such as how far from the cabinet you are and how many more fttc connections there are which can introduce crosstalk. I was the first on my cabinet for fttc and started out at 72, since then it has dropped to about 60-odd as more people have taken it up.

if you'd gone for the up to 40mbps package you would have seen 40, PN won't be limiting your speed.

If you've got a hub one you can go to troubleshooting > helpdesk in the web interface and look at your stats and post them here.

These are the bits you want to copy:

6. Data rate:	20000 / 72179
7. Maximum data rate:	23498 / 72511
8. Noise margin:	6.7 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation:	15.8 / 15.7
10. Signal attenuation:	15.8 / 15.7
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'