Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype issues

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Skype issues

Hello everyone:

I'm feeling a little bit out of my comfort zone as I don't domain at all none of this technological issues... But 'm looking for some practical help and simple advice.

My internet its dropping constantly since the 15th of January and the main reason I bought this internet service was to be able to talk to my family abroad... After 2 or 3 minutes on Skype  I loose connection... I can't talk with them!  So basically I'm paying for a service that doesn't provide what I need...

Is there anything I can do to improve my communication through Skype? 

Thank you very much!

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) changed topic title

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Skype issues

Moderators Note.

post split into its own topic for better visibility
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

(note to mods/admin/fellow customers - moved the following post (edit included on this thread only) to this thread from here)

@proverbs15-1 Nice to see your post finally made it to the forums Smiley

You might not be having the same issues as the rest of those on this thread, so it may be moved to another area/section of the forum. If the admin feel you are also one of those suffering then it might stay where it is.

Please clarify the following:

You use a Plusnet Hub One

You have the 40/2 Fibre connection

Do you use a device that connects to the Hub (router) via Ethernet or WiFi

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Hello again:

Trying hard to answer your questions:

Yes, its a Hub1 and its via wifi.

I don't know about the 40/2 connection... Sorry for my ignorance! Can you explain?

DS
Seasoned Champion

I understand it can be difficult with all the internet malarkey

Regarding the 40/2 (your connection speed), click on this - Hub manager - and post the results for 6 and 7. This should tell us roughly what speed you're on. The hub manager password may already be filled in, but if not it's on the rear of the hub in the removable plastic card.

xeg12xeg12

I am also having skype issues since last week On any machine, using skype desktop or uwp (and also on my mobile phone (windows mobile) unless I connect via 3G) when I make or receive a call I hear nothing and the call hangs up after about 10-12 seconds.

I tried the echo service - same.

I contacted support chat in Wednesday morning and was told a setting had been changed and to reboot the hub in 4 hours time, skype would work. I did so - no change; I waited another day and tried again - no change. Useless!

I have been on a fibre connection for a bit over a year, using the Plusnet provided hub / router. This is connected via ethernet to a Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway server. Nothing on the setup has changed recently.

Upload speed is 14M(ish) and download 1.1M.

I need skype to contact my clients so what is happening?!

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Data rate: 1999 / 39950
7. Maximum data rate: 20578 / 65014
proverbs15-1
Dabbler

I just wanted to add that even now, just to be able to post a comment it's stopping and slowing down... or when I open a page like my email... Not every time though...

DS
Seasoned Champion

Sorry to keeping both of you waiting. I know what it's like when you post on a forum and sit there waiting for a reply. I'm unable to load the forums up correctly via my fibre connection at this moment in time.
This response is actually being sent via my phone (using my mobile data). Due to being disabled it's very difficult to for me to type using the phone so won't be of any use to you. Most of this is using predictive text. I hope to get online as soon as I can and I'm very sorry about this.
proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Actually I wanted to say that this evening for the first time in weeks I was able to have a proper conversation with  my mum... The sound was good... the image still stops, but i was able to talk... that's an improvement:) 

DS
Seasoned Champion

With reference to your results (post #7) proverbs15-1, it looks like your connection is 80/20, but it's currently low at 40/2. This needs further clarification for a member of staff.

With reference to post #8, I too have been having some issues which became major issues from late afternoon.

As you use wifi to connect, you would make thing a lot better over ethernet. Should you prefer to stick with the wifi you would need to download a wifi analyzer on a mobile phone or tablet.

The launch this app and look for all the other router SSID's in your area. Pick a channel with hardly any results showing. If possible you would need to choose channel 1, 6, or 11 as these do not suffer from wifi overlap

Then click this - Hub Wifi - and do the following:

In channel selection, change this from auto to the channel (1, 6, or 11)

Click apply

Click on the 5GHz

In the sync with 2.4GHz section, select no

In the wireless SSID you should see you normal wifi SSID, add the following to this '5GHz' without the ' '.

Click apply.

Does you Skype now work better or worse?

DS
Seasoned Champion

xeg12xeg12 Your issues might be different because you already connect via ethernet.

Obviously the phone would be over wifi. Therefore if you also use a Plusnet Hub One, then the above should help you out too.

Both of you could click on this link and only post up the figures for what Plusnet say you're on - MyPotral data transfer speed

Then compare those reults to what BT they should be - Checker

As an example, here's mine-

comparison.JPG

edit, here's my results

6. Data rate: 2001 / 23041
7. Maximum data rate: 2403 / 22724

xeg12xeg12

There is no estimate at the link provided but current speed is 14.1.

Ethernet is used to link the router to my servers but from there I use wifi AND Ethernet, both give the same error. The phone is the same too unless I turn off wifi and just use the 3G connection.

Also I do not use the wifi on the router - it is turned off. I use meraki and dLink wifi bases connected inside my firewall.

As my firewall has not been changed this has to be the router / line connection but Plusnet while saying they changed a setting and fixed it, achieved nothing!

By the way the BT checker says 9-13M approx. download speeds - more accurate than previously where they were saying 40+M and did not appear to know I am 1.3K from the box.

All this is irrelevant though - simply something changed on the line last week as before that skype worked well and now it does not work at all! (10 seconds is not "working"). Nothing else has changed at my end and the line speeds are the same.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I guess that link only works on a residential connection....? Sad

Having spoken to SWMBO as she is known to Skype, she has told me that of late she couldn't obtain a decent call quality or voice call either! Huh She's reverted to other methods and they're better, not brilliant, but certainly better.

I have to assume that all three of us on this thread have QoS enabled, so it can only be a PN network issue.

Having said that, @proverbs15-1 and myself use a Plusnet Hub One (PNH1) and there is currently a known issue with the current firmware. Are you using this router or an earlier model?

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Hello DS.

I did everything you suggest, and I am very pleased, because so far, I'm able to use Skype normally. Sometimes the image slows down, but today I could talk for an hour with no cuts. 

However, I can't do nothing else, while I'm using Skype... If I try just to google something, everything slows automatically down and crashes a little bit. 

Thank you for your help!