cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky to Plusnet

SJMC1
Dabbler

Sky to Plusnet

I've been with Plusnet just over two weeks after leaving Sky fibre broadband. I currently have 58Mbps download speed with plusnet at about a 6 dB SNR, with Sky I had about 68Mbps and an SNR of about 3dB. I was wondering with it being the same line why the speeds ain't about the same. I have noticed some disconnects.

42 REPLIES 42
SJMC1
Dabbler

Re: Sky to Plusnet

20210813_154050.jpg

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @SJMC1

Thanks for reaching out, tests on your line this morning appear to show that it's operating within estimated speeds, syncing at 55.7 Mbps, though the line itself can handle up to 64.5, and disconnections can be seen on the visual radius graph, which you can see below.

I can't really speak for other providers, but what I would say is that Sky are what we call an MPF provider, and use different equipment at the exchange, so this MIGHT be the cause of the differing speeds.

If the disconnections continue, I'd advise going through some basic troubleshooting here.

When testing, if you can, remove the faceplate from your master socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it, avoid using any extension cables / sockets as well.

If that doesn't help, please complete the questions on the fault that you've raised, and our faults team will pick this up on our end.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 55.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 663.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-08-12T00:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 57.8 Mbps 58.2 Mbps 57.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 13.1 Mbps 13.4 Mbps 13.2 Mbps
Up Time 803.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @SJMC1 

If the disconnects are manual router reboots in an attempt to increase the speed, then it will be counter productive.

When changing ISP's Openreach reset the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) and DLM re-learns the line characteristics.

If the errors are low DLM will automatically reduce the noise margin in 1 dB steps and at each reduction check the line is still stable.

The disconnects will be seen as errors and if DLM regards the errors as too high will stop the process of reducing the margin and increasing the speeds.

Regards

Richard

SJMC1
Dabbler

The disconnects are not from my end as I know the issues about rebooting the router and DLM.That's what I am afraid the system thinking  there was a fault in the line. I had none of them issues with sky. The only time I switched the router off with being with Plusnet was the other day. I went into router settings and clicked disconnect first. I then replaced it with my own equipment but the disconnects are still happening. I fear if this keeps  happening the DLM will make my line worse.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @SJMC1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the connection. I've taken a look into your account today and whilst we can see there have been some drops, we're not detecting any underlying faults on the line. I can see that you've started to raise a fault online, but it doesn't look like this process has fully completed. So we can review the situation further, please could you confirm what troubleshooting steps you've been able to carry out at this time?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SJMC1
Dabbler

Phoneline sounds clear. Replaced all equipment including microfilter. Plugged into test socket. Still disconnects and I'm also getting a lot of buffering and web pages not loading up right.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming this @SJMC1. Please could you confirm what time you set the router up in the test socket? I can't see any further drops since I'd reviewed the account earlier on this morning, so it may be worth monitoring it for a couple of days to see if the connection remains stable. When you're connecting at the moment, are you connecting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SJMC1
Dabbler

I plug my new microfilter into the test socket a couple of days ago. I'm using both wifi and wired.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @SJMC1, thanks for getting back to us and confirming the checks you've done already your side. I've updated and progressed the fault on your account that now requires your attention so we can progress this further for you.

The ticket I've added to your account that can be seen and commented on here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=217188395

Feel free to give us a nudge on here after replying on the ticket then we'll happily look into picking up and progressing this issue further for you.

SJMC1
Dabbler

It's been a week since the engineer was out and the disconnects are still happening. Speed has also when down from 60Mbps to around 40Mbps this morning. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @SJMC1,

I'm sorry to hear that this is the case. I've reviewed your account this afternoon and whilst we can see there have been a few drops in the last week, the speed is running within the estimated range. Have you noticed any sort of pattern behind the drops? From what I can see they seem to be occurring in the early hours of the morning - are you noticing your connection dropping at any other times throughout the day?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SJMC1
Dabbler

From what I can see it's at night. The engineer replaced the bt socket and reset the line. The speed went back up to 60 Mbps and he said the line was good, but the disconnects are still happening. When I was with sky the other month I had a sync speed of 68Mbp and no issues.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming this. Has anything changed in the property since the engineer replaced the BT socket? For example, the location of the router. We may need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate the line further and if you would like for us to do so, I've updated the open fault ticket on your account concerning this, here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SJMC1
Dabbler

Nothing in the house has changed since the engineer visited. Every else in the house has been the same since I've been with sky as well.