Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky has it, Plusnet doesn't

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Sky has it, Plusnet doesn't

Where I live is a bit biblical in terms of PlusNet (BT) fibre. When I moved in 18 months ago Fibre was due at the end of 2013. However BT changed that unannounced to the end of 2014. The PlusNet availability check still says no fibre date available. However when I check on the Sky site it says Fibre is available, people in the locality have told me they also have Sky Fibre connection in place. I thought Sky use BT for the final mile?
Is this just BT Openreach Inertia in "action"?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sky has it, Plusnet doesn't

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say? You also check by postcode as it may be that the BT records for your line are wrong. If any neighbours are on fibre you can check their cabinet number to see if you are on the same one.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Both DSL checker and BT Wholesale checker say 31-12-2014 which sounds like an arbitrary dummy date to me, as last year it was 31-12-2013 then slid for no announced reason to the end of 2014 date in February. It still doesn't cover why Sky has and PN don't have service. If the availability date was true I'd have thought PN at the very least would be taking advance orders.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to check the cabinet numbers as the Sky users who have it will almost certainly be on a different cabinet to you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Some cabinets are enabled and some aren't yet. In my street, I went live over a year ago, but the other end of the street only went live a short time ago, so a bit of a lottery.
eattheword
Grafter

Six cabinets in our village went live in October but the seventh is still in the survey phase and isn't expected to go live until next summer.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@AlaricAdair,
Openreach still provide the "last mile" of service for Sky FTTC, unless it's part of a trial where Sky use their own network equipment. However I'm aware that isn't being done in your area.
The difference in results between ours and Sky's FTTC availability may also come down to differences in what data is used. For example if you checked just using the postcode on Sky's checked that isn't cab specific, if you were to then use the BTW checker using the full address or phone number, that is.
Apart from that as both Openreach and Wholesale are indicating the exchange enablement date is 31/12/14 and the fact we're getting reasonably close to that date without it having changed is a good sign for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mathias
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
and the fact we're getting reasonably close to that date without it having changed is a good sign for you.

LOL.
Over the last year whilst i have been waiting for fibre to come to my area there have been multiple occasions where the expected date was reached. The next day the date was simply updated to 3 months in the future. Bit like waiting for a late train, they just keep you guessing rather than give accurate estimates.
Good luck!