cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significantly better performance on one line after moving from PlusNet?

nel_f

Significantly better performance on one line after moving from PlusNet?

Hi all.

We have 2 identical lines into the house, previously both PlusNet fibre broadband, with routers directly connected to identical master wall boxes replaced a few years ago by OpenReach with new NTE5 type wallplates. Recently we changed one PlusNet line to NowTV (Sky) to save a few pounds, and now we get 49Mbps d/l on this line compared to about 31Mbps d/l with the existing PlusNet line. Upload speed on both are very similar at just over 6Mbps. I tried swapping out the PlusNet router for a better quality one but the d/l speed remains poor compared to NowTV. However, the PlusNet speed is just above the minimum guaranteed line speed given - it's almost as if this was the target speed?!

So my question - is it worth contacting PlusNet support to look into this speed differential, or will the fact that the minimum guaranteed speed is being reached mean it will fall on deaf ears? Will initiating a line retrain help, or will this stop as soon as the guaranteed speed is met/exceeded? Should I just wait for my other contract to end and move both lines away from PlusNet? It is frustrating to know that my current PlusNet broadband is capable of being over 50% faster than it is now, making the NowTV broadband significantly better value than it is even now!

Thanks, Nel

1 REPLY 1
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Significantly better performance on one line after moving from PlusNet?

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team