cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant speed decrease for both upload and download - well below minimum guaranteed

Loafboi
Hooked

Significant speed decrease for both upload and download - well below minimum guaranteed

When we first registered with plusnet 10 months ago, broadband speeds were representative of what I would expect for the Unlimited Fibre Extra package. I have noticed a gradual decline in these speeds and I am now faced with download speeds that are just less than 9% of my quoted minimum guaranteed access line speed of 68.9Mbps and equally sluggish upload speed. I ensured that all conditons of the test were met and found myself at 6.16Mbps download and 3.29Mbps upload earlier today.

One of the most frustrating elements of this are that the connection has functioned at close to the full speed a few months past. It is also worthy of noting that a separate BT line for different flats within the same building still regularly achieves this too. I don't find it acceptable that I am a customer of the highest package available and I am receiving speeds that would fail to be satisfactory even on the lowest package.

Please see attached files pertaining to Guaranteed speed and speed test.

28 REPLIES 28
Loafboi
Hooked

Re: Significant speed decrease for both upload and download - well below minimum guaranteed

Finally got through to an open live chat representative and a fault has been raised. Was advised that I should attempt using the test socket behind the master socket faceplate, have done so with no significant difference observed. 

Loafboi
Hooked

Re: Significant speed decrease for both upload and download - well below minimum guaranteed

Not heard anything back yet and problem persists, not great

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How is your phone line? Have you dialled 17070 option 2 from a corded phone?

Have you looked at the member centre for an update on your fault ticket?

Is it waiting your response for an engineer appointment?

Loafboi
Hooked

Don't have a corded phone, what does 17070 do?

Member center shows no updates since initial escalation for review, statement that they'll contact me when they have more info and the same escalation message later the same day.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Your broadband signals use your phone line to deliver service, if you don't have a good phone line, you won't get good broadband - the very first thing to check is the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2.

Have you looked or followed any of the guidance on the Help Pages?

Loafboi
Hooked

I've done everything I can find other than those involving a phone. Can't see anything out of the ordinary in terms of the integrity of the line, tried multiple Ethernet cables, reset the hub countless times and haven't perceived any changes outside of typical minor fluctuations with use of the test/master socket either.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

So you have not done the basic phone line test! Odds on you have a phone line problem, and your second attachment confirms your broadband profile has severely been reduced. 

Do you get broadband and phone from PN?

If not that's why they have not answered your fault. If so, you need to borrow or buy a phone (£5 from Argos or your preferred supplier) and check the line, then you can help make sure you get the right support.

I am disappointed for you that a staff member has not responded to your posts though.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @Loafboi

Apologies for the delays getting in touch. I have ran some checks on your line, and the phone line seems to be fine when tested. This has been raised through to BT Wholesale for you, and we expect a response within 2 working days. If you haven't heard an update by Tuesday, please drop us a message and we will chase this up for you.

Loafboi
Hooked

Thanks for getting back to me. Glad to hear the phone line seems OK, had a look around today and couldn't really find anywhere carrying one for a reasonable price.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Loafboi wrote:
had a look around today and couldn't really find anywhere carrying one for a reasonable price.

There three here for under a tenner?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Loafboi
Hooked

The engineer has been and the line was tested, passing in all regards as a full speed fibre connection with minimal noise/interference. The filter has been removed from the line and a full hub reset was done. After being given time to return to normal function, the connnection provides a very significant increase in upload speed but similar download performance to what I was experiencing previously. This really only leaves the hub as the culprit. The degradation of an internal component would also explain the strange way in which I initially experienced my speed declining. 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Loafboi,

We are happy to hear that the connection has stabilised, but sorry to hear the speed is decreasing. I have arranged for a new a router to be sent to see if this resolves the issue. It will be with you within 3 to 5 working days, please let us know how the connection fairs once the new router is in place.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Loafboi
Hooked

Hi,

I'm still yet to receive the new router and have continued to have the same problems with my speed, despite diagnostics tests now showing a full line speed. I would really like a solution as soon as possible, as this is becoming unworkable and isn't what I'm paying for.

caseyw1988
Hooked

I have the exact same issue. I have no phone, just purely fibre extra for a PS4. Yet I Dont get anything near the 68mb plus guaranteed speed. More between 17 b and 35mb it's Ridiculous. Was fine a couple of months ago when I was still with BT! Attached a picture of speed test through the ps4. Used to Read 70+mb but never nowadays.