cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up for fibre , Haven't heard anything since.

FIXED
RobJM
Grafter

Signed up for fibre , Haven't heard anything since.

A couple of questions.

I have recently applied online to upgrade from standard broadband to fibre , haven't had any contact from Plusnet yet.

1) How long does it usually take before you are up and running on fibre from when you first apply for it?

2) Will my current internal wiring be OK to use? Already have a faceplate with separate sockets for phone and broadband.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Signed up for fibre

@RobJM wrote:

1) How long does it usually take before you are up and running on fibre from when you first apply for it?

A couple of weeks to a month. Depends how busy openreach are in your area. Also PN have a silly habit of mucking things up so sometimes you have to give them a kick. If you haven't heard anything yet I strongly advise you to call them or chat with them. They have been known to lose track of orders in the past. If the forum allows I'd suggest you change your thread title to something more meaningful. 'Signed up for fibre, not heard anything yet' might be a good idea.

PN is good once it's up and running but their customer service especially handling relatively complicate things like new customers is bad. Really, quite bad.

Be proactive in chasing things up. But don't be put off - I've been here several years and despite being out of contract am happy to stay. My connection rarely has any problems so the ineptitude of their Customer Service staff (excluding those who contribute to this forum) doesn't bother me.

2) Will my current internal wiring be OK to use? Already have a faceplate with separate sockets for phone and broadband.

It should be fine. New customers often get an email saying that an engineer has been booked but that's almost never true. You should find it's just a matter of swapping your old ADSL equipment out and replacing it with VDSL equipment.

RobJM
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

Don't think it's been a week yet but I was expecting a confirmation email to at least acknowledge receipt.

But like you I've never had any real issues with Plusnet over the years , hence why I've stuck around.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Fix

Thanks @Andrue for adding your comments.

To add to this, let me put you at ease and tell you that your order is good to go for the 14th. It can take anytime up to midnight on the day but realistically it's usually sooner.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
RobJM
Grafter

Thanks Matty! Now I'm excited 🙂

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Let us know if you have any issues on the day (not that I'm expecting it). Smiley

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
RobJM
Grafter

Will do , thanks.

I assume I'll get the new router before then , can it be set up and used before the fibre is ready ? with my current ordinary broadband.

RobJM
Grafter

OK, seem to be live now , got new router set up and connected.

Received Plusnet email saying my upload speed has been changed to 2Mbits , that seems to be about right , however no mention of download speed , and that still seems to be the same as before?

Does this usually take longer to change?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Does this usually take longer to change?

No. The problem is that your PlusNet profile hasn't adjusted automatically to the change to Fibre. You could try the chat system and ask for your profile to be corrected or maybe one of the help team will spot  this and do it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobJM
Grafter

Thanks, got help through the chat , they hadn't got the profile back or something, he update it at there end and said it should be fixed soon Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You will need to disconnect and reconnect the PPPoE session to pick up the new profile

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobJM
Grafter

Yeah, that's done it 🙂 now 37Mbits 🙂

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good to see, let us know if there's anything we can help with

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.