cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should have "up to 38Mb" but have 29 instead - Unlimited Fibre

bwhitept

Should have "up to 38Mb" but have 29 instead - Unlimited Fibre

Good evening, I am looking to have the best possible speed with this service and while 29Mb for download and 1.75Mb for upload is not that bad I want to do the best I can to get the maximum speed possible, would you guys please help me out?

I already did the BT wholesale speedtest and followed every step in order to have the most accurate results (i.e. wired, etc.)

fg.PNG

fg2.PNG

Thank you so much in advance Smiley

14 REPLIES 14
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Should have "up to 38Mb" but have 29 instead - Unlimited Fibre

Your line is fine, it is syncing at 38.67 Mbps (as seen in your IP Profile)

The reason for the speed being 29 Mbps, could be that the test was done with other devices on which are consuming bandwidth, or the fact that wireless throughput is low.

Try to connect directly to the router via an ethernet cable and then do a speed test. Additionally, try one at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and see if the results differ.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

that's a reasonably good result for an "Up to " quote. The phrase "up to" should be interpreted as being possible in perfect and ideal conditions, ie going downhill with the wind behind you.

Try using the test socket to see if internal home wiring is slowing things down.

Remove all other phones & equipment and see if it improves.

Perhaps your local VDSL green cabinet is congested and local interference is causing things to slow down.

( Please note: I'm just a PN community member , not someone employed as a PN advisor)

GPS

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi have you checked to see if your plusnet profile is set correctly if it's not you can have less speed than you should be getting, your syncing at 38Mb as your BTW IP profile states so your line and cab is fine. you can find the plusnet profile here under connection speed  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

it should be set to the same level as the BTW profile if it's lower than you will need to get it adjusted you can do that via online support or wait and see if one of the plusnet care team do it for you.  

bwhitept

@Riza

As I said in my original post I did all the requisitions normally asked for these tests, I plugged an ethernet cable, disabled antivirus, disabled wifi on all devices, and so on, and so on, so that is not the problem

@runhare and @Terranova667 you guys will have to explain me your contributions a bit better please, as I don't know what/where is a test socket and I don't know where to set up the plusnet profile, I'm pretty new to plusnet, or UK broadband for that matter. I have had the service for a month now

Thank you for your help!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@bwhitept

There's no issues with your account that I can see, everything is set to allow the best speeds available on your package.

Are the speed tests always around the same? Do they fluctuate at different times of the day?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the EXACT same issue - ask PlusNet to run a full test on your line. t hey did for me and the report showed the 29 Mb/s sync was due to a 30 Mb/s banded profile.  The banding was clearly stated at the bottom of the test report.

I am not in an argument about getting it removed though as we have a 'we put process before customer service' argument

Chris
Legend

It's not a banding issue, if it was the IP profile on the speed test would have shown a 30Mb/s profile.

I'm not aware of your issue but to remove banding on fibre requires a fault to be resolved and can only be performed by an engineer, there's is no way we can remove this remotely. 

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Haybasha
Rising Star

Looking at your line rates there is no reason at all why you should not be getting the full speed over a wired connection.

Has anyone checked your PlusNet profile isn't stuck?

Chris
Legend

@Haybasha wrote:

Has anyone checked your PlusNet profile isn't stuck?

Yes

There's no issues with your account that I can see, everything is set to allow the best speeds available on your package.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The test socket is behind the faceplate on your main master socket, it you use this it should deliver the best possible broadband signal to your router.

Remove the two faceplate screws and carelfully pull off the faceplate to reveal the test socket behind. if you have phone extention sockets connected to other wired phones in the house,  be careful not to damage or pull off the wires or you could disconnect your extentions.

Chris
Legend

There's nothing wrong with the sync rate of the line so moving to the test socket is unlikely to make any difference. The problem is with the throughput.

@ccarmock

I've just checked your issue and although it seems like we're just saying no, there is no way for us to reset a profile remotely on a fibre line. This will only be performed once an engineer has been out.

bwhitept

@Chris

@Chris wrote:

@bwhitept

Are the speed tests always around the same? Do they fluctuate at different times of the day?

I don't know as I'm always at home around the same time. I can try running new tests this next weekend, but when I posted here I did the test twice in 30 minutes and the results were the same, first time I did it via wireless and second time wired, and with no antivirus, etc.

The problem is with the "throughput"? What do you mean?

Chris
Legend

The problem is with the "throughput"? What do you mean?

There are 2 main speeds that we talk about:

- The sync rate - this is the raw connection speed that your router connects back to the exchange/cabinet at. This dictates the profile your line is given.

- The throughput - this is the real life speed you see on speedtests and when using the connection.

On your line the sync rate is where we expect, it's the throughput that's low.

If the speeds don't improve when you run new tests, can you report this here as a speed fault: https://faults.plus.net

technologymill

Hi Haybasha,

I've picked up your details from a Google Search

I've just purchased a Zyxel SBG3300 from Buyer and can't get it to work with Plusnet Fibre.

Could you advise of any tweaks you had to make to config to get it to work?

Getting no help from Plusnet at all.

Thank you,

Michael Stewart.