cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I replace PlusNet fibre router?

Kevin4President

Should I replace PlusNet fibre router?

My house has an extension built the other side of what was the outside wall: double brick thickness so the wifi signal on one side often drops out on the other. I need wifi in both sides of the house. Prior to upgrading to fibre I had been using a Network Over Mains wifi extender. The extension is wired into a separate fusebox which slows down Network Over Mains to 2 Mb. I've tried different makes of Network Over Mains: D-Link, ZyXel etc. They all perform poorly. 2 Mb was ok when I was on standard broadband but now I'm on fibre I want fibre speeds on both sides of the house. My questions is should I buy a range extender or should I replace the PlusNet router to something with a stronger wifi?
5 REPLIES 5
fp
Grafter

Re: Should I replace PlusNet fibre router?

I could not get a consistent wireless connection with the supplied PN router, over a few tens of feet (as the crow flies) through plasterboard walls and ceilings, although the wired connection was fine.  Very frustrating.  I bought a basic ASUS router and the difference was astonishing.  Cannot comment on likely performance through brick walls, however.
richandsian
Grafter

I found the PN router was terrible for WiFi without any walls. The 802.11ac 5GHz router that replaced it has been much better. Certainly worth a try.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have you considered putting in a cat5 cable from the router to the extension then adding a wifi extender there
Kevin4President

I should have thought about installing a cable when the extension was built. Too late now because solid concrete floors etc.
adie:quote
Kevin4President

Quote from: richandsian
I found the PN router was terrible for WiFi without any walls. The 802.11ac 5GHz router that replaced it has been much better. Certainly worth a try.

The PlusNet router I have received is the Hub Zero Sagemcom 2704n. Is this the router that you refer to?