cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be using a Router or Modem?

cs94njw

Should I be using a Router or Modem?

Hi All,
So I think I made a mistake when ordering, but I want to double check before I go any further.  I've had broadband for years, ADSL, and always been careful to buy modem/routers.
I have a TPLink TD-W8980 ADSL2+ modem/router, which is pretty good.
When I ordered Fibre, it says, "Do you want the wireless router supplied by Plus.net?"
To which I set it to "No" - I already have a very good router.
So broadband was enabled yesterday, and I haven't been able to connect.  I'm getting "timeout on waiting for PADO packet".
Now I'm starting to wonder if my above modem/router won't work directly on my fibre connection...
And that maybe I should have accepted the "wireless router".
To be honest, if they had said "Do you want the modem?" I would have said yes.  But I assumed they were asking if I wanted something else.
So:
1.  When they said wireless router, did they really mean the modem?  (unless my terminology is out of date)
2.  Am I correct that my TP-Link TD-W8980 isn't going to work with my new Fibre connection?
Sincerest thanks,
Nicholas
EDIT: Just seen this on the help pages:
If you sign up for fibre broadband, you'll get a free BT fibre modem for your service. The engineer who installs your fibre broadband will bring this. The BT fibre modem will work alongside your router and you will need both for the service to work.

So I should have received a fibre modem?
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Should I be using a Router or Modem?

So I should have received a fibre modem?
Yes, the engineer should have brought one with him. The good news is that once you've got a modem your 8890 will be usable as a router. You can connect it to the modem using it's EWAN port ( lan port 4 I think ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cs94njw

Thank you!!
Grrr... I waited-in all morning for the engineer yesterday.  Rang support at 1pm, and was told that actually no engineer was needed.  So I wasn't happy about that wasted time Sad
Looks like I needed the engineer after all Sad  Time to ring support....
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you feel really brave....
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14461.0
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cs94njw

Dear God..... hahahahah.... thank you very much for the link 😃
Er.... slightly reluctant to try this Wink
w23
Pro

I don't blame you!
Posted just in case...  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cs94njw

Got through to support.  A modem is being sent out in the post - approx 5 working days Sad
w23
Pro

Hopefully sooner - fingers crossed.  Perhaps Plusnet can have a whip-round and buy a first class stamp!
Call me 'w23'
cs94njw

Thanks Wink 
I could have suggested, that perhaps they could get another OpenReach/PlusNet engineer to pop by and drop one off....
axlstod
Grafter

for when you get your modem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135715.0.html
think you also have to enter something into network-wan settings , I have one but don't have fibre yet.
cs94njw

Thank you very much emmasbloke!
I think I saw somewhere I'd probably need to change my Network Mode to "Wireless Router Mode" or something as well.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Er.... slightly reluctant to try this
If you go to reply #143 on w23's link there is a method to flash the 8890 that doesn't require any opening of the device

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.