cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield Broomhill exchange...congestion?

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Sheffield Broomhill exchange...congestion?

Is anyone else on the Sheffield Broomhill exchange with fibre experiencing sloooooow speeds?  I had fibre activated last Wednesday and have had wild fluctuations in speed ranging from 4 to 73 Mbps....the speeds only seem to increase in the wee hours of the morning and slow down dramatically at peak times...although saying that, it's current at 8 Mbps and it's 23:22............mostly I'm only getting about 14Mbps 😞

I've raised a ticket and am currently waiting a response....

8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Sheffield Broomhill exchange...congestion?

Sorry to hear you're experiencing slow speeds. Sad I'm connected to the same exchange, and mine seems stable. From your other posts in another thread you've seem to have tried an ethernet connection so rules out wireless. I take it you aren't downloading or uploading whilst running the tests?

If you've completed the broadband troubleshooter at faults.plus.net our faults team will be in touch this week.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Must say that I never suffered congestion on that exchange when I lived there last year (I really miss the pies from the Nottingham House).

I have tested your line and you're syncing at pretty good speeds. If the fault finds that there is congestion, they'll be able to move you onto a different SVLAN (basically a slightly different network) that is at a lower capacity.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Just had confirmation that it IS due to congestion after all!  Due to be sorted on 21/10/2016 - Fingers crossed.....

Bizarrely, however, just after I received this confirmation I lost my Internet connection entirely. Reset router, contacted Plusnet chat 3 times (who recommended doing a factory reset on the router - I was quite rightly dubious - it didn't make a jot of difference).  So a note has been added to my existing open question....So...my upgrade to fibre (last Wednesday) has been a disaster so far 😞

I'm a games programmer at Sumo Digital so I'm not clueless when dealing with this sort of stuff...

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Still no internet nearly 4 hours later....

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

And back up....for no apparent reason....but still slow.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I glanced at your connection before I left work and I could see it quite unstable this evening and the past few days. Hopefully that should be resolved along with your speed issue shortly.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Thanks for taking a look...it's been up and down like a yo-yo over the past hour or so...
jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Down again this morning...