cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shambles of service from PlusNet and BT/Openreach

elrao
Dabbler

Shambles of service from PlusNet and BT/Openreach

Just thought I'd share my experience ...

Took out PN 80M service, was getting less than 30 and asked PN to investigate, this was back at the start of March.  There was a fault on my line, so they got a BT Phone engineer out to fix it (new master socket).

PN then told me my issue was resolved, but my speed was still < 30M, as the line was banded.  I spoke to them again and PN arranged for a BT Broadband Engineer who reset the line and found I was still only getting ~70M at the cabinet (~30 at home) and so replaced the DSLAM.  Up to 80M/40M at the cabinet/home.  Some progress.  He couldn't work out why the loss was so high when my house is only 400m from the cabinet and one of my neighbours (50m closer) gets the full 80M. 

Line test showed ~950m of cable between my house and the cabinet (400m away); after some investigation he reported my line was part of an old trunk between the cabinet and a junction box, and my neighbor was likely on the new trunk.  He surmised that the old cable must not have a direct run and must account for the difference in cable length (as it was the difference in physical cabling).  His solution - switch me over from the old cable to the new one.  Made sense and sounded simple, but it was 16:55 and he knocked off at 17:00.

I reported all this to PN, who arranged for Engineer #2 who turned up with a job sheet telling him my line didn't work, he was to fix it and ensure if was >25M.  He ran his test, it passed, he said he was done.  I explained the back story and he told me there was nothing he could do, as it wasn't on his job sheet.

Again, I reported all this to PN.  Had some lengthy discussions on the phone about what the issue was and what was needed to resolve it, they told me they understood and would make sure BT had the correct instructions this time.

Engineer #3 turns up last week and ... EXACTLY the same job sheet as engineer #2.  He did/said the same and left.  All this despite me being crystal clear to PN that there was no point just sending out an engineer if they did not know what needed to be done, per Engineer #1.

Today I get an email from PN telling me that the engineer fixed a fault (he did no such thing), my speed was 39M (on a 40M profile - I pay for 80M) and the issue was resolved!  Sent by someone who has obviously not bothered to read and understand the problem in the first place.

Great customer service by PN and BT.  I only post this here as a warning to others who believe the hype that PN promote about good customer service, in my experience this is not the case.  It may be better than BT, but it is still a long way short of GOOD!

2 REPLIES 2
macangus
Hooked

Re: Shambles of service from PlusNet and BT/Openreach

Hi elrao i know how you feel regarding plusnets customers service,i have been without internet since the 29th of april due to plusnet losing my account when they tried to move me to a new server.

It took plusnet two weeks an engineeer visit and a new router before they accepted that the problem i had was created by them,i will not have my internet re-activated untill the 31st of may but plusnet seem to think they are providing a good service.

The customer service of plusnet is absolutley terrible they did not know what the problem was and they have left me in the lurch for what will be over five weeks,customer service what customer service.

elrao
Dabbler

Re: Shambles of service from PlusNet and BT/Openreach

Your situation is obviously worse than mine, at least mine works and I have a similar speed to that I received from BT Infinity (slightly faster since the DSLAM move) which BT never even considered coming out to investigate (hence PN being "better" than BT).

What annoys me the most is the constant need to repeat myself, they have different agents picking up tickets who don't read the history.  I have actually read the posts on the ticket out to them on the phone before and they didn't realize!!