cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Netgear Nighthawk R8000 with static IP

FIXED
MTW777

Setting up Netgear Nighthawk R8000 with static IP

Can anyone fill in the black/confirm the settings below?

Nighthawk App asking for the following to set up static IP:

STATIC IP ADDRESS - which I have.

SUB MASK - I assume either 255.255.255.255 or 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT GATEWAY -  I think this should be 192.168.1.254

DNS SERVER - ?

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Setting up Netgear Nighthawk R8000 with static IP

@MTW777  Welcome to the forum.

Even if you have a static IP address you are advised to leave this on the router as dynamic. It will then sort itself out and automatically pick up your fixed address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Even if you have a static IP address you are advised to leave this on the router as dynamic

It's more than advised, you have to leave it as get automatically from ISP so that it obtains the correct gateway address.

As @Baldrick1 says, it will automatically assign your static IP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MTW777

Nighthawk app asked for PPPoE Configuration, Account name and password I assume account name is user name@plusdsl.net?

I put in the account name plus the password and the white internet light comes on on the router but there is still no internet it send me to the router address with a message from BT.

Baldrick1

@MTW777 

The settings that you need are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Edit, 

Are you trying to set it up using the preconfigured router automatic set up? If so it might be that the router is assuming that you have a fibre connection. If as per your posts you are on standard ADSL you may have to input the settings in this link manually.

Moderator and Customer

MTW777

Trying to set up through the APP, it is a fibre connection I posted in the wrong area at the start..!

Baldrick1

Fix

@MTW777 

You could always ditch the fancy tools, log into it using a web browser then try setting it up the old fashioned way. For log in details. https://kb.netgear.com/24340/What-are-the-factory-default-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-R7000-router-and-...

Have you checked that the log in details are correct by using them to log into your Plusnet account, less the @plusdsl.net of course? The only other thing that I can think of is that some routers don't like special characters in the account password so if you use any you could amend your Plusnet password to only use alpha numeric ones. Ignore any Plusnet instructions to use a special one.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Just noticed ...

@MTW777 from what I can see the R8000 is a router only i.e it has no vdsl modem. Do you have a separate vdsl modem ? as it won't work without one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MTW777

Baldrick1, Sorted using the old fashioned method login via browser and updated firmware, internet working fine now, thanks for the help.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine