cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up a TP Link AX6000 with Plusnet Hub One Fibre Broadband

ChisChas

Setting Up a TP Link AX6000 with Plusnet Hub One Fibre Broadband

Poor wi-fi on top floor of my house & would like to gain advantages of Wi-Fi 6 so I've just bought a AX6000 and the plan is to use it as a new router but reading a number of earlier threads here, I believe I have to continue to use the Hub One as a modem? This is what I think I need to do:

1. Connect my laptop to the Hub One with an Ethernet cable and go into Advanced Wi-Fi settings and turn off Wi-Fi

2. Connect Hub One to the new AX6000 by Ethernet cable, download TP Link's Tether app or use an Ethernet cable and go through set-up for AX6000. There's a YouTube AX6000 set-up video by TP Link which appears helpful so I'm hoping set-up isn't a problem LOL.

Is it as easy as this or are there various trip-ups that will leave me unable to use my new AX6000? I don't have any confidence or previous experience in using a non-ISP provided router and it would be great to keep up with tech, if possible. 

A guide for a router idiot would be helpful ie avoiding jargon that a newby wouldn't understand!

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Setting Up a TP Link AX6000 with Plusnet Hub One Fibre Broadband

@ChisChas if all you want from the AX6000 is Wifi , then set it to Access point mode ( page 18 of the manual ). Turn off the Hub one wireless , just connect the WAN port of the AX6000 to a LAN port on the Hub one and you should be good to go.

If you want to use the AX6000 as a router for some of its other functions like Parental controls etc, then you will need to set its internet connection to 'Dynamic IP'. You will have a 'double NAT' situation but unless you use voip or VPN then that probably wont be a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChisChas

@MisterW 

Thanks for quick response, am I right to connect to my Hub One first and turn off its wireless first then move onto new AX6000 set-up? Only wishing to use AX6000 for improved wi-fi, don't need Parental Controls, VOIP or VPN. My gaming PC is currently connected via powerlines + ethernet cables.

Do I leave powerline ethernet cable plugged into Hub One or do I move it across to AX6000? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@ChisChas 

am I right to connect to my Hub One first and turn off its wireless first then move onto new AX6000 set-up? 

Yes, that way the Hub one wireless wont interfere with the AX6000. Youi'll obviously have to connect wired at first to do the setup.

My gaming PC is currently connected via powerlines + ethernet cables.

Do I leave powerline ethernet cable plugged into Hub One or do I move it across to AX6000? 

I'd certainly leave those connected directly to the Hub one. Connecting them to the AX6000 wont make any difference if its in Access point mode but will if it's in router mode. If router mode you will have double NAT and that MIGHT be a problem for the gaming PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChisChas

Thanks again, I will be setting up the AX6000 tomorrow, hopefully all will go well.

TomasG

Hi there, I also just bought the TP Link AX6000 and I'm having some issues!

I connect to Plusnet through a basic DSL Modem (Netgear DM200) - that's all fine and works and it's configured as as a Modem + Router (but it's very basic with just one LAN port. I am running the ethernet cable from the LAN port of the DM200 to the WAN port of the AX6000, but I can't seem to get the AX6000 to connect to the internet. I think it may be something to do with the VLAN configuration on the new router - but I'm a little lost! Smiley

I was wondering whether I should configure my DM200 as a modem only (remove the router part) and there is an option for VLAN pass through as I'm wondering if I'm getting a conflict between the DM200 and AX6000. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @TomasG  ive never used a DM200 myself but basically, in modem mode you need to configure it with a VLAN ID of 101 and disable the VLAN passthrough. The AX6000 does not support VLAN id and therefore the modem must handle it.

With the DM200 in modem mode you will need to set the AX6000 Internet connection to PPPoE and configure with your Plusnet username & password

TomasG

Thanks so much for the speedy reply and suggestions - that makes sense and I'll give this go! Really appreciate the speed of reply - amazing!

TomasG

Hi - just wanted to follow up and let you know that you're advice worked! I have ticked the VLAN Passthrough on the the modem, unticking that box did the trick! Thanks again...

Tom