Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service drops and router problems

PabloBruno
Grafter

Service drops and router problems

Hi,

I have had plusnet broadband since July and there have been no major problems. However, every few days (sometimes only once a fortnight) we have a complete loss of broadband. It comes back in 5-10 minutes but I would like this to be investigated and stopped please.

Also, my router has begun to hiss very loudly. Having read through the forums this seems to be a common complaint. However, my router is right next to my desk and when I am on zoom calls my friends/family/clients complain that they can hear it. We are pushed for space so I cannot move the router or my desk. Is it possible to get a replacement please?

Kind regards

24 REPLIES 24
PabloBruno
Grafter

Re: Service drops and router problems

... and still no one has replied?

to add to the pain, today our internet has dropped three times and is now only 3-4 Mbps (should be 40 Mbps).

I have tried contacting Plusnet support but I am either kicked off after waiting about 15 minutes or I give up after about 30 minutes.

Please can someone contact me.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@PabloBruno Sorry no-one has picked this up Can you confirm you are on an ADSL connection?

Actually reading you last post - you are on FTTC. I shall ask for this topic to be moved to the correct board.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

As far as I know it is adsl as we are not in an area that can have fibre.

Also, we are still on really slow speeds - 3-4 Mbps.

jab1
Legend

@PabloBruno Your comment: to add to the pain, today our internet has dropped three times and is now only 3-4 Mbps (should be 40 Mbps)  indicates you must be on FTTC - 40Mbps is impossible on ADSL.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

Okay, I am on fibre - not an expert.

But the problems are real and still happening. Can anyone actually help please?

jab1
Legend

@PabloBruno I agree, your problems are real, but until this gets moved to the correct board, I don't think it will get picked up. Unfortunately, the amount of self-help/Community help on FTTC is very limited.

John
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @PabloBruno, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your broadband connection as of recent. I can see when testing from this side we're seeing speeds well below the estimates for your line with intermittent drops occurring which certainly hint something is out of place somewhere

I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault in the form of a disconnection somewhere that more than likely will be the cause of your connection issues recently. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 27/01/21 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner. I've raised a fault ticket on your account and placed it on hold until the morning of 28/01/21 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved however, if you are still seeing issues by Thursday morning and haven't heard from our faults team feel free to drop us a message on here and we'll happily chase this up for you.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Thank you for your response.

However, I have two online funerals to attend on Wednesday (yes 2021 has started badly) and an online interview on Thursday. Please can you explain why this fault is to be put on hold? I really need fast broadband this week, more than ever.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @PabloBruno, thanks for getting back to me.

The fault has been raised with our suppliers and is being investigated as swiftly as possible however we have been advised the estimated response time for them to investigate the issue is 27/01/21 by 23:59 so I've placed your fault ticket on hold for the following morning so our faults team can check the actions taken by our suppliers and to also check if the issue is still ongoing. As mentioned though, if you haven't heard anything from our faults team by Thursday morning and are still seeing connection issues then please do get back in touch on here and we'll happily investigate further.
Unfortunately although the fault can be resolved sooner that the advised estimated response time I'm afraid there's no way of knowing if this would be the case currently so I'd advise if you're needing a stable connection for Wednesday to potentially look at other means of getting online as not to rely on the current intermittent connection. It's unfortunately this fault looks to have come at such a online crucial time for you and I'm sincerely sorry for any inconvenience caused. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Do not confuse the Plusnet fault TICKET being on hold with the activity on fault RESOLUTION being delivered by BT Openreach.

PlusNET will not receive any new updates prior to resolution. Chases for an update will not be accepted by BTOR until their target to fix has expired. Therefore the management ticket is placed on hold for review when the target has expired.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PabloBruno
Grafter

Thanks for moving this to the right section.

FYI. the internet is now regular off rather than just slow. It was just down for around 20-30 minutes and the speed is now only 1-2 Mbps. I have to keep my fingers crossed that BTOR get their engineers to fix this soon.

Is there anyway that Plusnet can get updates from the BT engineers?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

In a word no. “The engineers” very rarely engage with retailers.

If this is being handled as a POTS issue, Plusnet will be in direct communications with BTOR. If being investigated as a broadband issue BT Wholesale will be sat in the middle.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PabloBruno
Grafter

Why is it that two 21st Century telecommunications firms cannot send a text update to one another?