cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servers not responding

kitmoore

Servers not responding

Ever since I’ve moved to fibre optic broadband (from sky standard broadband) I’ve had many issues with the server not responding. When I perform a speed test it seems okay.
Could there be a problem with my router?
This is painfully disappointing as I was receiving a much better service with sky and without fibre and slower download speeds. I had perhaps one or two issues with sky over a 14 month period. I’ve now had several with Plusnet over a 14 day period.
Seen as my service started 14 days ago can I please cancel this service? As I feel it will be a waste of money based on the last 14 days.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Servers not responding

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've tested your line and our tests aren't showing any problems.

Can you provide more information about the issues you're having?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kitmoore

The original problem seemed to resolve itself overnight.

I do have varying download speeds between 12Mbps and 36Mbps which is disappointing. Especially when it drops below my previous provider who gave a minimum of 17Mbps on a standard connection. I feel that paying more for fibre has given me minimal benefit at times.

Do you have any suggestions?

It also seems much worse using my iPhone, I've seen other customers with similar issues using iPhones connected to Plusnet routers. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kitmoore

This is still not resolved.

The quality of service is not what I would expect for paying more money than my previous contract with Sky.

The connection speeds are fine but it simply cannot cope with more than one device.

It also does not work on my iPhone X giving a lot of buffering even with no other devices using the internet. I am having to use 4G on my phone instead of the wifi which is absolutely ridiculous in this day & age. I live in a town not on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere.

Is there any suggestion to improve this?

Perhaps the router isn't good enough? Or the frequency is problematic on Apple devices?

If no one can help resolve this I will have to look at cancelling the contract and going back to Sky as I feel this is not the service advertised in any shape or form and therefore a breach of terms.

Thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you looked at the Help Section for ways to get the best out of WiFi?

No ISP is going to guarantee speeds on WiFi as so much depends on other factors.

Apple products do not seem to respond well when the same SSID is used on 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz WiFi bands, so unticking the sync with 2.4 and adding a 5 to the 5Ghz band will improve things.

Also using a WiFi analyser such as 'inSSIDer' will help identify which other local routers may be broadcasting over your router, and allow you to change the channels to less congested ones.  

HTH

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear that.

As advised above we'd recommend splitting the wireless bands to see if that show's any improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team