Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate my Fonera from my network

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Separate my Fonera from my network

Hi
Wondering if any experts on here could help...
So I have a Fonera connected to my BT hub 5. Fonera gives me free access to Fon hotspots - but I have to provide access to others, fair enough.
However I recently purchased a Seagate Central and this shows up via the public connection - which is quite concerning for me.
Is there a way of the Seagate not appearing via the Fon router? Perhaps changing IP range etc...
Thanks
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
8 REPLIES 8
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Separate my Fonera from my network

DMZ ?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Where would I apply this?
To the fonera or to the hub 5?
Thanks
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
picbits
Rising Star

I suggest you do some research on DMZ before you decide if it is suitable but it could well be an option for you.  You set it up on the router and on many routers you can isolate the DMZ device from other parts of your network.
Worth doing a little research before adding it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shocked
Surely the Fonera WiFi should be on a different subnet to the HH5 LAN, and be offering a separate DHCP range, so the two networks shouldn't see each other ?
Personally I wouldn't try the DMZ thing, as different routers implement DMZ in a variety of ways, and many are not safe for what you are trying to do, so I wouldn't risk it without a lot of testing.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I tried the DMZ and messed it up.
Turned it back off and still messed up.
My computer can no longer see the Seagate Central - even via HH5.
Arrghh!! I've tried restarting seagate but no luck - will restart hub and give seagate a new IP address.
NE
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

All fixed up by re-assigning the IP address and using Seagate discovery tool.
I've realised I've been looking on the private Fonera SSID and not the public fonera SSID.
Public doesn't show up the NAS so all is secure.
Regards
NE
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grin  Roll_eyes  Crazy
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I was stuck deciding between Seagate Central and WD MyCloud.
I went for Seagate as you can access it remotely from a web browser, where with WD you have to download plug ins and access via the windows explorer - however work computer doesn't allow downloads and WD2GO.com (remote access) is blocked.  Leaving Seagate the option, which works fantastically  Cool
NE