cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Install for FTTC

japiewie
Dabbler

Self Install for FTTC

When will Plusnet be offering Self Install (As in the OpenReach terminology (No Huawei Modem, FTTC modem in router))
Can one preregister interest or offer themselves as trial candidates?
I would be interested as the NTE is completely in the wrong place. As all cabling is nicely out of sight, we do not want a stapled phone or CAT5 cable in full view...
(and the fact that the technicolor tg582n have very poor WiFi performance)
I would be interested and this is the only reason not to upgrade from ADSL MAX  Sad Embarrassed
4 REPLIES 4
shure
Grafter

Re: Self Install for FTTC

FWIW I got a self-install from Plusnet: I just asked for it as I knew my line was OK and didn't want / need an engineer to come around and simply plug the modem in.
I did receive an ECI modem from PN in the post (I already have my own router) but see no reason why you can't simply install your own modem or modem/router yourself.  You've always been able to use your own kit with PN AFAIAA so not sure why this is holding you back?  Even if they send you a modem you don't get charged for it so may as well keep it as a backup if you do decide to use your own stuff.
godsell4
Rising Star

@shure are you saying you already had an FTTC connection before changing to PN, then it makes sense that you do not need an engineer. It looks like the OP is currently on ADSL and so the FTTC connection is not yet live.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
shure
Grafter

No, I had an ADSL connection (up to 8Mbps) and switched to fibre.  I didn't feel I needed the engineer in the house since all he was going to do was plug in a modem.  Just seemed a waste of everybody's time.  I'd had my Master socket upgraded to the latest type last year so knew it was Fibre capable.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

It is possible in some cases to use a microfilter instead of having the new faceplate fitted, with this a self-install order can be placed and the modem posted to you.
For this you would need to contact us via chat or phone and speak to our provisioning team however if there are any faults or issues with the connection, the lack of installation engineer coming to your home means that a fault would need raising after the order was closed.
It is generally advised to have the engineer appointment however the self-install option is there if requested.