cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seem to be getting about 10% packet loss

cerzi
Dabbler

Seem to be getting about 10% packet loss

From monitoring my regular pings to google (ping google.co.uk -t), a good 10-15% of my pings time out.  There are no dropped packets when I ping my router directly, so I'm assuming the problem is external.
I've recently upgraded my broadband package and am wondering if that's related.  Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seem to be getting about 10% packet loss

Hi 'cerzi', and welcome to the forum !  Cool

Does the same thing happen if you ping a different target,  e.g. 'bbc.co.uk'  or  'plus.net'  ?

At the moment you are pinging a target on the internet and seeing the replies (or not) coming back.
Have you considered doing it the other way around, i.e. using a ping source on the internet, pinging your router, and displaying the results ?
The obvious choice for doing this is the ThinkBroadband "Broadband Quality Monitor"
Wink
Zad
Grafter

I'm also seeing around 4% packet loss to bbc.co.uk, the TBB ping responder and World of Warcraft is clearly dropping packets all over the place. Looking at the PN Ping Graphs, others are seeing it too.
cerzi
Dabbler

I've set up a monitor, will see how it looks in a few days.  Link: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7c91bf79aca8470c7112db4ce9830e96.html
Not sure if it's more a problem with the router, though.  When I restart it, the problem seems to go away for 24 hours or so.  Gradually get more and more packet loss until the next restart.  Weird, right?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you set the monitor up in the last few minutes, the live graph should be displaying something !   Sad
Have you gone into your router setup and ENABLED responding to PINGS on the WAN interface ?
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Nibiru
Have to gone into your router setup and ENABLED responding to PINGS on the WAN interface ?

Unless of course they are using a PlusNET hub one, then pings on wan don't exist.  Roll_eyes
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
cerzi
Dabbler

Ah well yeah - I'm using a hub one.  No way to respond to pings?
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

only way is if you can a PC or a device on 24/7 then to setup dmz to that IP, however it'll open every port so not a smart move really.
I'm looking for a answer to this myself, at present DMZ is set to my raspberry pi which makes me worry  Sad
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up