Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam concerning broadband?

FIXED
Porksley
Dabbler

Scam concerning broadband?

I've just had a strange phone call. An automated message from someone purporting to be offcom telling me that my broadband has been compromised and will be cut off in the next 24 hours. I checked the number and it's the code for Barnsley (I'm in Barnsley), so I can't see it being from offcom! Has anyone got any clues as to what is going off? The full number was 01226735565. I don't intend ringing it back in case it's a scam.

I've also posted this in general chat.

3 REPLIES 3
agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Scam concerning broadband?

Fix

This is a total scam! Loads of other references in the forum for this. In my experience they have never mentioned Ofcom, but say that " this is a call from your internet service provider". The fact to bear in mind is that BT and Plusnet will never call out of the blue. Also BT will not call Plusnet customers.

Questions have been raised in the forum about what would happen if you were to press 1 when prompted to.

I had 2 of these calls yesterday. the first followed the usual script and the second said that I had missed a call from my internet provider.

It has also been noted that although the number they use appears genuine it is spoofed.

Highlighted
Porksley
Dabbler

The odd thing is it didn't ask me to do anything. No buttons to press. No numbers to call. Just said I was going to be cut off due to some "risk" of some sort. Can't see what they would gain from it.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 44

Hi @Porksley 

If, for whatever reason, we were going to contact you out of the blue via telephone, we would always identify as being from Plusnet. If anybody calls you about your PLusnet connection who does not do this, I suggest hanging up on them. 

You might want to look into our free Plusnet Call Protect service as well - it helps with unwanted calls. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 MoR
 Plusnet Help Team