cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same speed after Fibre Extra upgrade

Richchad
Rising Star

Re: Same speed after Fibre Extra upgrade

Thanks for the info Gandalf, I can tell you that I have had some power failures during those times.

I asked the engineer about that and he didn't think it made any difference.

I can tell you the days and times of the failures as I was asked to record them as the faults has yet to be found.

The dates/times are as follows, however the power was almost immediately reset within a couple of minutes each time.

30/6/18 - 18.45

2/7/18 - 18.45

8/7/48 - 11.50

18/7/18 - 18.05

02/8/18 - 18.16

04/8/18 - 18.46

It would I assume count for some of the drop outs but not all, not sure if this helps or not..?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for confirming the drops are due to power failures.

I'll let you know when our suppliers escalation team get back to me though it'll likely entail another engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I have the same issues back last November 2017 with power failure (blamed on Western Power Distribution by spiked resync 20x times in a single day that ended up DLM banded on my line for 64 days)

Richchad
Rising Star

So after the third visit by Openreach they decided that my line will only reach speeds up to 48Mbps and not the average of 66Mbps advertised by PN or the line estimates of 52.3Mbps.

Therefore I could downgrade back to Unlimited Fibre, however I am unsure what that will do to my speed, I was getting around 37Mbps before the upgrade, I assume it will go back to that?

Whilst downgrading would give a monthly reduction (not sure how much as had better deal with the upgrade) could I not keep on the upgraded Unlimited Fibre Extra and have a reduction in my monthly charge to compenstate for the lower than expected speed?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Richchad

I've replied to the ticket on your account regarding this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Thanks, just read it, seems a shame to go to a lower speed by downgrading, do you think I should stay on Unlimited Fibre Extra to gain the small increase in speed, and if I do what are the chances of negotiating a lower monthly charge as not getting what I should?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To be honest this is something you'll need to discuss with customer options as they're the best people to help when providing offers and deals.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Well that disn't go well, contacted customer options and the guy said my upgrade hasn't gone through and won't until my next billing date which is the 19th, no matter how many times I told him it has gone through and that I have been having conversations with you and the Openreach visits, he insisted that is not the case.

He quoted that his training tells him it won't go through until my billing date and the higher speeds will kick in then...?

Not sure where to go now, maybe ring again and hope I can get someone who understands what I am requesting...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear this. I've passed feedback on, and I've explained the situation to our sales management asking them to arrange an adviser to call you back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Can you chase someone up to ring me back as not had any call yet.

I would like to ring myself really as hate having to wait for a call, if I ring again will the sales people know the situation?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry that you haven't had a call yet. I appreciate long call queues to speak to someone don't make calling call centres an overly pleasant experience.
I've chased this up and as I type this I've had a reply back advising it's been picked up.
If you don't receive a call within 24 hours please let me know and I'll call you and transfer you over which will mean I'll personally be able to explain the situation with the adviser.

[edit]
Looks like I misread your last reply as you don’t like calling and waiting in a queue, as opposed to what you actually said was that you’d like to ring yourself. Sorry about that. I can see you’ve spoken with someone now and this is sorted? Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Thanks again for your help.

Update

All sort now, thanks.

Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Yeah, thought you had sort of misread my message but no worries as manged to get it sorted, staying on Fibre Extra with the slightly improved speed over Unlimited Fibre and managed to negotiate an acceptable monthly reduction.  Smiley

Shame I couldn't get the better speed I wanted but thanks for enduring my complaining along the way, it is sometimes hard to understand the workings of PN, BT and Openreach.  Roll_eyes

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @Richchad, I'm glad that this is sorted now and I'm sorry that we can't provide you with more speed. 

As you're still on the 80/20 product there's nothing stopping your speeds from increasing further if anything changes with your line in the future.

Feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance or have any further queries.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet