cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same speed after Fibre Extra upgrade

Richchad
Rising Star

Re: Same speed after Fibre Extra upgrade

Hi goldenfibre, have attached router stats, hope this helps?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

BT haven't put you on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra as it sound like DLM Reset doesn't come through. Your line still on old product 40/10.

Don't worry as Adam Walker or Gandalf will get back to the supplier to chase it up.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@goldenfibre You are wrong, if @Richchad line was still on 40/10, then the synch speed would be 39,999.

The issue is that his line is currently not able to go any higher than it is at the moment - look at the max attainable speeds.

@Richchad Have you tried plugging the router into the hidden test socket?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Not always the case. It's happen to my parents line before when upgraded from unlimited fibre to unlimited fibre extra as their line was stuck at 41/9 then PN have sort it out and this time went to 67/20. The only way to check is latest GEA test from PN for the profile name from bt.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Ran BT test again this morning and it showed 14.48Mbps...!

Which web browser are you using? Because that's incorrect if this happens:

However if I run the old Ookla speed test it shows around 37Mbps..?

Hopefully someone can sort it today.

Line is still showing as banded. I'd personally give it more time, as the DLM reset was only requested yesterday. Due to the way resets work on fibre it's a manual process where we'd send it to BTwholesale and they'd pass it onto Openreach.

Failing this we'd need to arrange an engineer but I'll get back to you via your ticket as it's in my workflow to monitor.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

Well here we are on Friday morning, ran BT test first thing and down even lower to 9.93Mbps...

So whatever needs to be done by BT or Openreach hasn't been done yet.

Can someone chase this up please.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Can you please post back your router stats again and ran speed test with this link: https://fast.com/en/ if you can plug into test socket on the master socket via ethernet.

Also check PN Current Line Speed: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Richchad
Rising Star

Not possible to use test socket as too far from PC and can't see that this would make any difference as nothing has changed here.

Speed test with Fast.com shows speed of 35Mbps the same as all other speed test websites other than BT Wholesale.

PN Current Line Speed..

Estimated line speed:64Mb (This may vary between 49Mb and 64Mb) - Checked on 2017-09-19 10:31:50 Current line speed:38.8 Mb

Have attached Router stats again...

I don't see where you are going with this as it seems that BT or Openreach still have work to do as suggested by Gandalf.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Sound like u need an engineer to be send out. I am not 100% sure if the line is still banded.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well here we are on Friday morning, ran BT test first thing and down even lower to 9.93Mbps...

As above, which web browser are you using? Because if you're getting this: 

Speed test with Fast.com shows speed of 35Mbps the same as all other speed test websites other than BT Wholesale.

Both sites can't be right. Smiley

Not possible to use test socket as too far from PC and can't see that this would make any difference as nothing has changed here.

Unfortunately if the DLM reset doesn't work before we arrange an engineer visit, this will be the next step to rule out the internal wiring of your property causing the issue to help mitigate a call-out charge.

I don't see where you are going with this as it seems that BT or Openreach still have work to do as suggested by Gandalf.

From experience, DLM resets take about a week to fully go through.

If you're still seeing a slow sync rate by Monday we'll arrange an engineer visit but I do recommend trying the test socket first.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Okay have found out from another posting that Firefox and BT test give poor results, so tried on Internet Explorer and now shows my usual download speed of around 37Mbps.

I will try and connect with ethernet cable dirct to test socket and run speed test again.

Will update you on results.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for this.

Yeah the best browsers to run a BT speedtest according to our suppliers is either IE or Edge.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Richchad
Rising Star

@Gandalf Okay, went to Openreach Master socket and then remembered that they had disconnected all my remote sockets some years ago and hard wired from Master socket to junction box next to PC, the only other connection is our wireless phone base plugged into front of master socket, hopefully this should be okay as no other house wiring connected.

I unplugged the base connection and ran test again getting 38Mbps as expected.

So looks like will have to wait until Monday to see if banding has been removed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for trying this and for the info.

Yeah if your speeds are still the same on Monday we'll look to call out an engineer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I do think btw should bring in new speedtester that support mobile, tablet, pc for non flash and non java. Its appear that btw speedtester is quite old back to 1990. That's why Firefox got issues with incorrect speed report. This is why I ask this person to try this speed test via here https://fast.com/en/ because it will show the correct speed throughout.