cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same as everyone else..... Speed, latency and drops...

stevie5141
Dabbler

Same as everyone else..... Speed, latency and drops...

So.… I wasn't going to bother posting this fault due to thinking it was just because of the current situation and everyone online all the time but today it just seems unbearable.

For the last few weeks my broadband connection has been constantly dropping, sometimes a few times an hour but connects straight back on again. My speed is way lower than my guaranteed minimum but what's really driving me made is the latency which is around 700ms from the router.

Seems that more and more people are experiencing this so some transparency would be appreciated … I'm a senior network engineer myself and it smacks of overselling bandwidth/ too many subscribers, and the infrastructure cant handle it..... I know because my company also oversells its ISP.

If this is the problem I'd rather someone told me straight and I'd just ride it out. I have access to Openreach's fault testing through my company so know the line itself is fine.

14 REPLIES 14
stevie5141
Dabbler

Re: Same as everyone else..... Speed, latency and drops...

Can only assume that someone is doing some testing as since I posted this my connection has dropped at least 6 times in the last hour?? 

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @stevie5141

Sorry to hear that, I can see that you have already raised a fault on your account here

There is fault found on your line when tested, potential HR Joint is detected and there are loads of errors on Downstream, quite few on Upstream. Can you please confirm if Own Domain Checks were completed before we will arrange engineer visit? Can you please comment on open fault ticket once router will be connected into test socket so we will be able to retest your line?

-Piotr

stevie5141
Dabbler

If it were a fault on the line how come at non peak times such as after 11pm last night and still today the connection is stable? The latency is now down to normal levels and connection hasn't dropped today? Also the router logs show PTM over DSL dropping with ppp errors more than likely this is an over subscribed DSLAM....

Unsure what you mean by domain checks?

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Thanks for answer.

Not every fault cause drops or total loss of service.

HR joint stands for High Resistance, it is physical fault on line. Based on test results fault is located towards your premises and it have nothing to do with DSLAM.

This is the reason why it is important to perform Own Domain Checks to exclude issues with your internal wiring, you can find them here

EDITED: added RADIUS graph

radius.png

stevie5141
Dabbler

Ok. I can confirm that I am connected to the master socket and microfilter has been replaced.... Still dropping out?

stevie5141
Dabbler

Hi is it normal for the support team to ignore faults logged by customers? I understand that if the fault is not fixed in 30 days I am free to terminate my contract without paying cancellation fees, is this correct? I still do not believe this to be a line fault and I have to say these forums seem swamped with people having the exact issues.....

Speed and latency have stabilised but still experiencing drop outs although not as many... Surely if the line was at fault this would be more consistent and not just worse on weekends?Huh

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @stevie5141

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in speed and intermittent connection faults being fixed. However, if you have raised this via our fault trouble shooter you should receive an update from our faults team in due course.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
stevie5141
Dabbler

Hi, as of 16:35 today my DSL connection has gone completely off ... just a constant blinking orange light so do I qualify for my job to be progressed with support... I'm actually on call for NHS this week so I need this working
stevie5141
Dabbler

So not that I should have to post this but I've attached 2 photos. one shows that I have swapped to a new filter and cable ( You can see the old ones lying on the ground) the other shows the blinking light.... I have no connection at all but this proves it isn't an internal wiring fault. The fault is from the NTE, last mile or further.. So this IS either Openreach or PlusNet responsibility. I understand these are busy times but this has been going on for a while now, and now its totally gone off.

Support haven't even responded since Monday or Tuesday I think....

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The picture is not clear, but it does not appear you are in the test socket - if you have one?

Also, do you have dial tone, if so is the line quiet - dial17070 option 2?

Gave you updated the fault ticket?

stevie5141
Dabbler

Yes its in the master socket and unfortunately I don't actually have a phone to plug into the line lol... Would appreciate an engineer visit now....

The picture is more my insurance policy for when they try to charge me for an engineer visit and he try's the standard line of "Internal wiring fault" I deal with this on a daily basis.....

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @stevie5141,

I'm very sorry that your connection is now completely down and for the delay in getting back to you on here. Having checked your account, I can see that our faults team have since retested the line and the test is now finding an external fault. This has been raised to our suppliers for further investigation and their estimated response time is by the 29th of April. As the fault is external to your property, this is only an estimate and our suppliers will resolve the fault sooner if they can.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
stevie5141
Dabbler

Hi Yes, I spoke to a guy over the phone yesterday morning and he was really helpful... so thanks to him and finger crossed it gets sorted soon.

DramaQueen

Yes, I have the same problems. My connection fails about 20-30 times a day, which makes working from home both slow and frustrating. I am constantly reconnecting. Any ideas?

I also have a separate security problem and emails are currently blocked - apparently a link to reset my password has been sent to my email account (!)…..I have calls for this logged with Customer Services last week and Tech Support today - can I post this query somewhere else on the forum for advice on any other way to reset my password, and also wider security/router  advice? Thanks.