Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows Whitebox performance testing

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

SamKnows Whitebox performance testing

We always want to make sure we're delivering a great broadband service for our customers so we're keen to make sure Plusnet are represented in a survey of UK broadband speed testing.

Ofcom, the UK communications regulator, has partnered with SamKnows to research broadband performance in the UK. They're looking for customers of various broadband providers, including Plusnet, and we'd like to ask you to take part.

The research involves connecting your internet router to a device, provided by SamKnows, that monitors the performance of your broadband connection. It's very simple to do and won't affect your internet connection and it will only monitor the speed of your connection, not what you do online.

If you volunteer you'll get access to your own data so you can track the performance of your broadband connection.
If you are on a package with usage limits, we will refund up to £5 of extra data charges a month, should you incur any usage fees for taking part in the project.

If you'd like to take part or find out more, please go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/signup/ofcom

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SamKnows Whitebox performance testing

For information

The increase in my usage down to Samknows is approaching 100GB per month peak usage because of the streaming tests which are no longer optional as far as I know

stoswald
Grafter

That is true @Oldjim  When I was away last week Thursday in 24hrs 8.83gb of data was sent, which is a bit to much if you are on a capped service

@Chris  will your tech boys and girls be looking at the Sam Knows data alongside your own fault tests? 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've had such poor interactions with SamKnows over a previous box that I won't be applying again.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
stoswald
Grafter

no reply from Plusnet to my question....  will your tech guys and girls use Sam Knows alongside your usual tests.

Open to the wider forum

Anyone notice any issues with the attached csv, from sam Knows?

for those that hadn't spotted it, since coming back to PN, Latency has increased and speeds decreased!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

stoswald wrote:

@Chris  will your tech boys and girls be looking at the Sam Knows data alongside your own fault tests? 

The faults team don't have access to this data, certainly not for individual lines.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Stream tests removed..... here we go!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I am another with a very poor experience of Samknows, the extra usage they added when they introduced the video testing was massive, and was impacting my own usage. Also although they turned the tests off at my requests, they added them again without telling me. They seem to have no technical knowledge of the impact their tests are having on the Internet, and I am convinced they cause more congestion problems for ISP's and the video supplier, YouTube, IPlayer and so on.

They also sent me a 100Mbps box, and I was not prepared to compromise the Gig Lan connections I had from my router, al in all a very poor experience, even if it was free!

30FTTC06
Pro

I am waiting for a reply of more Clarity 'Hopefully' as to why they removed said tests.

Data used as follows for the confused types!

"How much data does the Test Schedule consume?

If you are on an unlimited broadband product or we are aware that any data cap has been removed, you will be put on our full testing schedule. The data consumption will vary depending on your package. Maximum daily usage approximately is:

• 8Mbps: 820MB
  • 20Mbps: 2.06GB
  • 40Mbps: 3.95GB
  • 80Mbps: 8.17GB

Please note, as there is no data cap in place, the increased data consumption from testing will not be charged by your provider as provision is unlimited.

Those users with data caps in place are put on a reduced testing schedule. Maximum daily usage approximately is:

• 8Mbps: 54MB
  • 20Mbps: 54MB
  • 40Mbps: 108MB
  • 80Mbps: 1.17GB

During you participation, if you do move to an ISP with a limited broadband product and exceeding your data cap is a concern, please contact the support team at community@samknows.com so we can ensure you are placed on a reduced testing schedule."

stoswald
Grafter

Thanks for that interesting response from SK. My off peak usage is running at approx 20gb a week. 

SK claim that they do the tests when the LAN is not in use.  I wonder if they could explain why I am being tested when the network is in use - ie between 4 & 10pm M-F as well as weekends?

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've been signed up for this since it was introduced, still no reply.

I have no hopes from this company or what they will do with this so-called anonymous data anymore.

DD-WRT on my router will simply log my bandwidth instead.

stoswald
Grafter

Getting a new router as mine is doing silly things, like increasing latency and gibing odd speed readings.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've been a SamKnows member for 3 years. Do I need to do anything?

stoswald
Grafter

@stoswald wrote:

Getting a new router as mine is doing silly things, like increasing latency and gibing odd speed readings.

"You will receive your replacement SamKnows Whitebox in the next few weeks." They've already knocked my record card off air.  May as well just send the whole lot back in that case!

30FTTC06
Pro

@30FTTC06 wrote:

I am waiting for a reply of more Clarity 'Hopefully' as to why they removed said tests.

And they said......

Hello,

We are currently not conducting video testing for those on your ISP and tier.

As requesed I have withdrawn your account.

I have attached a freepost shipping label, which will cover the postage cost of sending the unit back to us.

Thank you for participating.

Kind regards,

The SamKnows Team

Well done, well done... big pat on the back guys Crazy3