Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagemcom 2704n port forwarding.

RichardWest
Grafter

Sagemcom 2704n port forwarding.

Hi,
I've just had my FTTC fitted and am very pleased with my speeds, however I run two webservers, one on port 80 and the other on port 8080.
Plusnet supplied a Sagemcom 2704n router.
I set up fowarding for port 80 using the preset in the settings and set up port 8080 manually. Port 80 works fine but 8080 doesn't, the port is still closed.
Anyone got any ideas?
Edit to add.
Port 80 keeps dropping out and the router keeps losing the (wired) server.
8 REPLIES 8
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Sagemcom 2704n port forwarding.

The plusnet routers are pretty cack if you want to do anything like port forwarding they simply dont work Ive been trying that for gaming and never managed it in the end only running in a DMZ could i get anything remotly going sad to say your better off getting yourself a decent router at your own expence.   
RichardWest
Grafter

I'd sort of come to that conclusion and hopefully should have a decent one coming soon.
Liquidream

I'm having pretty much the same problem, did you ever resolve it?

The crazy thing is, I did have it all working a while back.  But now, any time I try to create a new rule to forward 9090 (external) to 443 (internal), it works for about 5 mins or so and then dies.  The rule is still there and if I just edit it (changing nothing) and just click save, it works again.

I'd use the "expert_user.htm" mode, but they've removed the Port Forward/Virtual section so you have to use PlusNet's version instead.

Anyone got a solution that doesn't involve me having to fork out for a "decent" router? Undecided

Liquidream

PROBLEM SOLVED! Grin

Thanks to this post by TardisRepairMan and absolutely NO THANKS to Plusnet, who told me that they "Do not support Port Forwarding issues" (even though it's an issue in their own branded product)... I got it working!

I was using an manually-stated Static IP for my internal server, bypassing the router's DCHP server. This results in the router seeing the Server as "Unknown <MAC ADDRESS>" rather than the actual Hostname (which I did think was weird), and it would appear that trying to setup a Port Forward rule to an "Unknown" Device is problematic with this Router.

THE SOLUTION
If you want to Port Forward to an internal server AND have a Static IP address, you need to let the Router take care of the Static IP through it's DCHP server.  This can be done as follows:

1. Go to the Router's "Expert" menu: e.g. http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
  2. From the left-hand menu, go to Advanced SetupLAN
  3. In the "Static IP Lease List" area, click [Add Entries]
  4. Enter the MAC Address of your internal server and the Static IP address you want it to use, then click [Apply]
  5. Reboot your internal server and voilà! it should have the Static IP.
  6. Now you should be able to setup a Port Forward rule as (briefly) explained by Plusnet and THIS TIME it should stick!  

Hope this helps someone else lose less sleep/hair over such a simple task. Roll_eyes

All the best,

Paul

mtcerio

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the insight. I have exactly the same problem as everyone else here, I tried your method and it only works for some devices for me. Namely, after having the servers on automatically assigned IP, some get recognised with a hostname (e.g. Xbox) by the PlusNet and the port forwarding is maintained, while others (e.g. Samsung smart TV and IP cameras) still appear as "unknown-xx:xx:..." and the port mapping gets lost.

Did you experience something like this?

Thanks

maTTeo

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Thank you so much for posting this. I never knew you could access a "SageCom" page on the same router. How on earth did you find that out.

Compared to the older PlusNet router we had for our business this new one in terms of configuration is awful (2704n). We rely on remote desktop to access machines at work and have WOL set on many of them. The port forwarding was key to our operation. The daft thing was you could set it all up and it would work for a while then stop. Rebooting the router would then allow it to work again.

I assume once you have reserved the private IP to which you are port forwarding to, the "Unknown" tag still remains when making the port forwarding assignment? I still don't see a machine name and I have only made the change today (3/11/16) so I'm hoping that making the IP reservation is the solution.

Thanks again.

AJ

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

It didn't work. I have just been on a live chat to an agent (Agent Ashley) who says this (bearing in mind this is a business account we have!):-

"we provide the router to get you started and online, we only offer support to make sure you are connected to the internet as its a basic router, although they do have advance feature they are not always of business standard unfortunately i would not be able to provide you support in this issue as we are not trained on it"

followed by;

"we provide the router as a courtesy to help you get online, any more advance business features you are required to provide your own router and support"

Previous routers from Plus Net worked fine, this 2407 does not.

I am on the live chat now and after asking tor the issue to be escalated Ashley is towing the line with:-"this is the business team, you dont pay for a router you pay for a internet and phone connection, we supply a router to get you started and connected to the internet"

Well thanks for nothing.

AJ

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Thought I'd post an update on this issue. 

After losing weeks of not being able to get access to our main business server using Remote Desktop I have finally ditched this router. The symptoms were that often RDP would work and then without warning would just stop working. Sometimes rebooting the router next time we were in the office would sort the issue, sometimes it wouldn't.

If you are relying on this router to allow a remote desktop session to a machine on your LAN forget it. It will suck you in by working once or twice and then stop without warning. 

Plusnet support are next to useless as they don't support RDP on this router. I have gone back to the old TG585 which always worked and allowed RDP and also does so in our new location. Now it's all working fine and the only thing we changed was the router.

AJ