cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704n daily reset

Profiterole
Grafter

Sagem 2704n daily reset

I know of at least one other user that this happened to but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed (or does now) that their Sagem 2704n router is rebooting about every 24 hours (+ some minutes).
I check the uptime in the Helpdesk option in the router pages and, regularly as clockwork, the uptime goes back to zero.  At this point I lose wifi and ethernet but my connection isn't reset.  I know this from my TV which, if it loses everything totally, won't see the internet until the wifi and content is refreshed.  This has not happened - I just lose connection for about 30 seconds and then everything is back up.  I'm not doing anything different to any other time - just browsing, playing games, watching TV, sometimes streaming.
Ahah I thought, I'll get it to reboot when I want and powered the router down then back up at a time that was more convenient to me (early one morning).  Nope, come ~19:00 down goes the internet.  So surely this has to be something to do with the Plusnet config of the router?  I have even changed to a static IP as some of the games I play don't like it if you log in from a different IP address.  I think one day it changed 3 times which was when I gave up and went static.  If I wasn't static now, I'd be much more irritated by the drop.
The BT modem stays connected - it's just the router that drops.  The only reason I can see for this is to assign a different IP address - I'm not sure why though?  And would the router get the IP rather than the modem?
So, has anyone else with one of these Plusnet Sagem routers seen the same thing please?
29 REPLIES 29
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Sagem 2704n daily reset

Yes it is the Router that gets the IP address (in your case now a fixed one) when the PPP session starts after Authentication. If these disconnects are occurring at exactly the same time, check you haven't inadvertently set anything up on the Access Control settings on the Advanced Settings tab.
If you want to Reboot btw, it's best to login and click Disconnect on the Home page, wait about 30 seconds and then Reboot. You may need to login again and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
If this "disconnect" problem continues, click Disconnect, then do a factory reset and let it set up your connection again, and then do any other customisation you need. See if that fixes it.
Profiterole
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone.  I did as you suggested.

• Access Control settings are not enabled so nothing going on there

• I disconnected from the menu option, left it over 30 seconds then reconnected

• To be on the safe side I also performed a factory reset

All of this was about 18:30 this evening.  Just checked my router - up time is now 13 minutes, so it went down again around 19:30.  It always seems to be about 24 hours plus 10 minutes or so.
skimarqueshc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have had 2 that do this to me, I now have a 3rd 2704 but am using a different modem as I am getting nowhere with Plusnet. I am on my 2nd ticket and all I get is the router is basic, I am probably pushing it to hard.
I presume they mean that turning a laptop on is too intense an activity for a router to deal with, still no one from PN has answered this for me.
Anotherone
Champion

Hopefully one of the tech CRT guys can have a look at this tomorrow for you and see what Exchange and Cabs you are on in case there is any common factors.
@skimarqueshc
I presume you can be certain that the Modem isn't losing sync when this happens? Does it happen with a similar pattern to Profiterole or is it more random?
Both of you, Is this happening using Ethernet connections or Wireless or both?
Unless you have a different Router to try, you could both try setting up a PPPoE Dialler to connect a computer direct to the Modem to see if that stops the problem and rule out the Router (obviously you can't have other devices connected during this test). There's a similar Library article for XP if you are still using it instead of Vista or Win7. For any other OS, you'll have to google, but it should be a similar arrangement.
If the disconnection is happening in a regular timeslot, this should be easyish to test out.
Profiterole
Grafter

@Anotherone It's both.  Main PC is connected via ethernet, other devices in the house are wifi.  Usually I have 3 devices connected via WiFi with an occassional 4th.  Everything loses connectivity until it comes back up which is only a matter of seconds but it's enough to stop streaming, interrupt gaming etc.
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

@Anotherone - I have checked the lights on the modem and it was correct at the time of each drop I witnessed. In between I have had a old BT homehub and now a TP Link router on and have not witnessed a single drop.
I know when it drops as if I am on my wired device a internet service stops for about 20/30 seconds becfore coming back on, wired connections are good from then on, sometimes to reconnect wirelessly I have to go in the router and disable/reeenable wifi.
PN have told me the router is basic and probably cant cope with what I am doing but it is usually either on Skype around 1800-1830 or anytime later when turning one of 2 laptops on.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: skimarqueshc
PN have told me the router is basic and probably cant cope with what I am doing but it is usually either on Skype around 1800-1830 or anytime later when turning one of 2 laptops on.

It may be a "basic" router, and the firmware highly locked down, but that remark from a PN agent is complete and utter rubbish, and I think using two alternative routers proves it as well. Do you have an open fault ticket for this issue still? Please post the ticket number (even if closed) for one of the CRT to have a look at this.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

We smash our 2704n mercilessly day after day..... No such problems noted.
Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

@Anotherone - thanks for the input, I think over 2 tickets I have had my line tested about 4 times and told there is no fault on the line, it was Matthew Wheeler on here who sent me the 2nd router. It's some of the blatant clutching at straws that gripes me but here goes with the open ticket
Question #108225558
Profiterole
Grafter

I believe (hope) I now have found the solution to this issue.  Apparently, another well-known ISP uses the same router with their own firmware.  I found a thread where users were reporting similar issues - one user was almost identical to mine give or take a couple of minutes.
It turned out it was a conflict between the latest version of Avast and the ISP specific firmware.  Avast introduced Home Network Security as part of their suite last November which causes the Sagem Router to reset at regular intervals.  There are 2 solutions:

• Turn of Home Network Security

• Use a different AV

I've turned HNS off for now.  It will be interesting to see what happens this evening but I'm almost certain the router will stay stable.  If anyone is interested the instructions are:
Go to AVAST Settings / Tools  and selecting Home Network Security to OFF  (and a reboot for it to take effect)
That ISPs users believes it also affected ADSL users so if PN issue the same router for ADSL this should be mentioned to anyone seeing regular router drops as well (I'm looking at you @Anotherone as you seem to help out so much around here lol).
I'll report back later but I wonder if @skimarqueshc used Avast as well.  I bet @11110_110 doesn't  Roll_eyes
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Yes, on both Laptops
Profiterole
Grafter

There you go then.  So if the laptops were on, then Avast was running the network security and, more than likely, causing the drops.
I'm going to look a complete idiot if my router drops later  Lips_are_sealed
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

So just to make sure there is no confusion  Huh AVAST is more than likely the cause then  Wink
Profiterole
Grafter

Well technically the thread on the other ISP's forum implied it was a combination of their specific firmware with AVAST.