cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard not working

RHume

Safeguard not working

Hi there,
I've had safeguard switched on since joining Plusnet in August, however, it doesn't work. I've switched it on and off multiple times, to no avail, I've reset my router too, but I can STILL access sites that I want to be inaccessible.
Can somebody please help?!
7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Safeguard not working

Being a Free software its not very good .

You would be better trying something else http://uk.pcmag.com/parental-control-monitoring-products/67305/guide/the-best-parental-control-softw...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hello.

Are you trying to block categories or individual websites? Also, I take it you're using the Hub One?

if you're using your own router, I believe you'll need to setup the DNS servers to be 213.120.234.42 and 213.120.234.38.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alan3
Dabbler

Hi

For many plusnet customers (if not all)  using the standard plusnet router safeguard does not work.  You can switch it on, and you will think you (and others on your network are protected ) but you will not be protected.  (This is because the standard plusnet router does not allow the DNS servers to change!)

If you search on this forum you will see quite a few threads of really irritated plusnet customers who have wasted loads of time on this - to no avail. 

One customer has now reported plusnet to the BBC watchdog - so we may finally get some action from plusnet.

In the meantime - almost certainly your only solution is to buy your own router.

RHume

Hi Alan3,
Thank you for your comment.
I'm not the most tech savvy, so how would buying a new router solve the issue?
It's driving me bonkers, and so I'm not surprised someone's gone to BBC watchdog about it.

Thanks!
RHume

Hi Gandalf,

Yes, we've got the hub one.
I'm looking to block categories.

Thanks
Alan3
Dabbler

Basically, all safeguard really does is to send every website you ask to see, through a service, which blocks certain websites.

This service is provided by something called a "DNS".  The DNS number that normally looks up any internet site you want to access  is changed for another DNS that can be asked not  look up certain (nasty) sites.

When you turn safeguard ON, it should change the DNS your router uses - to this safe DNS.  However - rather stupidly, the router provided by safeguard - at least for some customers - does not allow the DNS to change.  So you turn safegaurd on, it SAYS that it is on, it tries to change the DNS but not manage - so you are not protected.

So you need a router which allows the DNS to change. Another customer on these forums was lucky enough that plusnet actually gave them an alternative router.  As for me - plusnet completely ignored my request.  So I just went and bought myself one.  (And finally they paid me £50 towards the cost of my router - which was nowhere enough to cover the cost or the insane amounts of my time that they wasted.)   I'm not tech sav. myself but I think that any router out there that works for your type of internet (eg fibre if you have it) and which you buy yourself - will allow you to change the DNS to what you need to do.

RHume

Alan3,

Thank you for your prompt reply, that was really helpful!
I think I'm going to need to invest in a new router. Though, hopefully BBC watchdog will do something to make sure that this whole issue is resolved!

Thanks again