cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNC speed, what is it? Intermittent drop in speed.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: SYNC speed, what is it? Intermittent drop in speed.

This is true about "DLM"  However the default port status on some DSLAMS have interleaving enabled by default, which can reduce sync speeds and also max attainable.  The removal of interleaving (When set to auto managed) can be up to 96 hours.

cOmp
Rising Star

Why would Plusnet lock it down like that. (telnet is).
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
notmyname
Rising Star

Plusnet wouldn't, it's the default status of some DSLAM ports, and is entirely dependant on the line card inside the DSLAM.

cOmp
Rising Star

Apologise, I was referring to the Plusnet hub.
notmyname
Rising Star

If you're talking about the telnet issue, I haven't a clue.  My original response was aimed towards the DLM comment, in that It only takes 24 hours to affect speeds.

cOmp
Rising Star

Interesting, wonder why I was made to wait from 8th December 2020 till 26th December 2020 before Plusnet tech support would do anything else with my speed fault after the engineer put me on a new fiber line.

Anyway that's a long drawn out story. Back on topic.

if the others say your line will settle in 24 hour just hang in there. You have been connected for 6 days so I assumed that your line has been active for almost a week? If you have been active for a week the 24 hours has pasted and the "myth" becomes reality and there is apprentley a help desk option to see your sync speed on hubs webui. Why it's so complicated and burried is beyond me. My modem shows this info on the homepage of the webui.
notmyname
Rising Star

I don't feel the statistics are hidden.  In fact the OP has posted his router stats in the first post?

Or maybe I've had one too many shandy's to understand what you're expecting.  In which case I apologise  

cOmp
Rising Star

Na, no Shandys it's classed as a non essential so won't be allowed to go out and buy one even if I did drink that stuff.

I have been using mobile phone and don't seen any attachments so I may miss them.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Not only are the stats not hidden, you commented on them in post 2 of this thread - it may have been trapped in the spam filter for a while, but is your memory that short?

Going back to Telnet, I can;t think of any recent ISP supplied and customised router that allows Telnet.

cOmp
Rising Star

Yeah I got triggered by the spam filter.
AFAIK you also memory have a short memory. You replied on one of my help requests and point blankly said that the BT DLS check showed my current sync rate at 79 and I said it wasn't upto date and now you, here you saying that it's not upto date and is sometimes behind by several days.

Anyway I'm not too fussed about what you said in my thread or here. My BE router and O2 router before I joined Plusnet allowed telnet and these were ISP supplied routers. I don't have a Plusnet hub so I nothing about the help desk tab if that list of 1 to X is the helpdesk page then yeah I talked about that but when you say helpdesk I was expecting another separate tab.

We will just and see if your so called "myth" is true for new connections.

I only joined here to get help and no-one helped me with my fiber fault so please just help the OP instead of attacking me (both of you).
Once my issue is resolved I'll be long gone.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@cOmp 

As you are competent in using telnet you will be aware that in less competent hands it can screw up settings. It is BT/Plusnet policy to lock hubs right down to make them as idiot proof as possible. This makes the support task much easier.

Before fibre self install came along BT installed either an ECI or Huawei modem to match up with the pathetic Hub Zero used in router mode. The Huawei modem could be unlocked.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Slpj Just to clarify, I don't see any post directly answering your question "What is sync speed". It is the data rate negotiated between the modem/router and the FTTC equipment (DSLAM) in the cabinet and depends mainly on the distance to the cab. 

The figures are shown in item 6 Data Rate in the stats in your first post, that is 9999Kbps up and 39950Kbps down which as Baldrick1 stated are the maximum values possible for a 40/10 service and there is nothing wrong with your connection. Theoretically it should be 40000Kbps down but most modems report a slightly lower figure such as 39999, yours is a bit less but of no significance.

One thing not easily explained is the broadband checker result showing observed sync speeds of 80/20Mbps on 22/12/20 which are not possible on the 40/10 FTTC product, my only hunch is that it was when the FTTC was first enabled and an Openreach operative was testing at the cabinet before the Plusnet 40/10 speed caps were set up. Obviously your very short line is capable of full 80/20 sync speeds.

The actual data throughput speed is controlled by the BT wholesale IP profile (based on a proportion of the sync speed) which is shown in the speed test in your post and is correct at 38.67Mbps, it is about 97% of the sync speed which is the best you can get, other lines depending on various conditions can have a profile of around 92%.or even lower.

So you can mostly get 36Mbps downloads which is correct for the IP profile, there are overheads that reduce the speed slightly. Are the lower speeds seen at random times or is there a pattern such as only at peak times i.e early evening through to 10 or 11 pm, if that is the case it could be congestion in the exchange which is difficult to convince Plusnet that it could be happening.

Slpj
Dabbler

Thank you all for your very informative replies, -- in as much as I understand the more techinal ones, which have me struggling -- Ha ha.

RealAleMadrid, thanks for all that extra clarification.

I have been testing to see if as you ask there are particular times when I notice slower speeds. And there doesn't seem to be. It appears to be random.

But I can also now say that the speed is more consistent every day now. And today I haven't noticed any slowness. Test even on wifi is over 33mbps.

@cOmp . Yes, my router has been connected to the internet uninterupted since the 6th or 7th Jan.

Just to set out the timeline a bit clearer. My fibre went live on the 21st December 2019. At first it was well over 30mbps, but gradually slowed down, and then was rarely over 20mbps, and often well under. A BT engineer took a look on the 6th Jan.  He found some kind of joint problem on my stretch of copper cable in a cable gulley next to the cabinet, which gets pretty wet.This is the report on my plusnet account.

"*INTERNAL* Main Fault Location: LN (Fault located in local network) Fault Code: NDT (No Dial Tone) Clear Code: 82.2 Clear Message: In Joint AreaCable (Underground)"

Oddly though, I always had a dial tone and my phone was working fine.

Anyway, after he fixed what ever it was I was getting 36/37mbps, but then it gradually began to drop off again. But he did say it may do that and begin to stabilise after a while. It was another BT engineer who suggested I look at the sync speed, but as I wasn't really too sure what that is, I asked here, and now I understand. So thanks for that.

I also asked becuse I wasn't sure if the guaranteed minimum 30mbps, is really not a guarantee at all. Anything over the 5/6mbps I was getting on adsl is great, but if I am really guaranteed a minimum of 30, then that's what I'd like to see all the time.

Plusnet have asked me to do a PPOE test just to make sure there is no fault on the router. I'll do that and see what happens. But since the router is new, I'm guessing that it must be working ok. I guess that because when I was on adsl, I was sent 6 new routers for slow speeds, and none of them had anything wrong with them.

Anyway, thanks again all and I'll update this again in a few days.