Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR rising and humming line

AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

SNR rising and humming line

Hi,

So I recently switched from ADSL to fibre to see what difference it would make (17mb on ADSL upto 26mb fibre).
I noticed my SNR has rose to 7.5-8 from 3db on the ADSL (held 3db for months). I plugged a phone in and tried 17070 and hear a humming/buzzing noise. It's not mega loud but its there. I tried the troubleshooter but couldn't find any faults and so couldn't get a fault logged online? Does anyone know how to log a fault as the call centre sounded very busy with a long wait and I didn't want to take up their time dealing with higher priority faults.
Thanks
Richard
6 REPLIES 6
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: SNR rising and humming line

If you haven't done so already change your filter, if its the same one you were using for adsl might not be up to it.

AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

I will try that but I'm not sure it will make a massive difference as the master socket uses a prefiltered faceplate and that generated the same noise. I have the router plugged into a micro filter extension socket in another part of the house though. Its a new cable that was installed less than a year ago. I will try it but don't want to keep disconnecting incase this is seen as worse issues. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @AlienatedCargo 

the master socket uses a prefiltered faceplate 

I have the router plugged into a micro filter extension socket in another part of the house

An extension cable connected to a prefiltered faceplate is only intended for a phone a connection, the filters purpose is to remove ADSL/VDSL signals from phone line. 

So you need to either move the modem/router back to the master socket or use a non filtered faceplate on the master socket.

Hope this helps

Dan.

AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

Hi, 

It was setup like this on the ADSL circuit and was OK, I guess the VDSL is a little more troublesome for this setup.

So should I replace the prefiltered master socket with something like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-OPENREACH-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5C-MK2-NTE5A-REPLACEMENT-TELEPHONE-LINEBOX-... I've just had a look and it seems a quick swap. 

There isn't any power or units nearby the master socket to power or house any equipment hence the extension. 

Thanks 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

What NTC do you currently have? If it is a already a NTC5c you can swap over the faceplate yourself.

If the NTC requires replacing then technically speaking Openreach 'should' change it but at a cost to you!

Depending on your skills you could do the work yourself as there are no records kept on what NTC are fitted and the swap over is relative easy. The NTC5c only requires a screw driver and no special tools.

How to fit a NTC5c   and  NTC5c Guide   

Hope this helps

Dan.

AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

Hi,

I have the master socket 5c so should be a straight swap. I'll get one ordered and see how it works.

Thanks for your help!

Richard