Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset

FIXED
jonnymccni
Dabbler

SNR Reset

Hi There,

Would someone be able to reset my line please? It appears to be stuck at 8 dB, whereas it previously performed well at 6dB.

Cheers,

Jonny

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: SNR Reset

@jonnymccni There may be a reason why the SNR has increased, but this will need PN staff intervention either way.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It will be at 8dB for a good reason - that is not a standard SNRM target - they are set in 3dB increments, typically 6dB or 9dB on a slightly degraded line.  Interstitial values suggest that either a line is speed banded or there has been a change in noise levels since the last resync.

Have there been problems on your line?

What do the router stats look like?

What is the SNRM immediately after restarting the router?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jonnymccni
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the response. Yeah my line was fixed recently, though it was working fairly well. Then in stormy weather it dropped and didn't seem to make it back up. It's never dropped out often or anything that I've noticed. I don't seem to be able to pay my stats here, I'll try the pc, but i restarted today after leaving it off for about 6 hours and it's download SNR is 8.9 at the moment, but it was about 8.1 just after startup.
jonnymccni
Dabbler

I think my stats should be attached here.... My SNR was 3dB at one stage and was working really well. But I'm a fair distance and understand conditions can change.

Thanks for help,

Jonny

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachment in a public forum.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jonnymccni,

I've had a look into this one today and from what I can see on my end, everything is currently performing as we'd expect. When you'd mentioned that there'd been stormy weather in the area and that this had affected the connection, I was concerned another fault may have developed, however my line tests haven't picked up anything out of the ordinary this evening. That being said, it's worth keeping an eye on from your end of things and if it does seem to worsen over the next few days, please don't hesitate to get back in touch so that we may investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnymccni
Dabbler

Hi Alex, thanks for checking, I'll keep an eye. Its just annoying that it was connecting at over 10 and now its down to just above 8, so i know the line was capable of better. The last Openreach engineers told me that they could see about 13 on the line, and suggested that i shouldn't be loosing as much through the router, and that's when i was connected at over 10.

Thanks again,

Jonny

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jonnymccni,

It occurs to me that it's worth testing with another router, though unfortunately the current router is out of warranty so I wouldn't be able to send a new one out at this time. Do you happen to have a spare router to hand for testing purposes? (Please be aware that this is simply to test if there's any noticeable differences in performance and that we still can't guarantee it will improve)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnymccni
Dabbler

Hi Alex, I've tried another router. Unfortunately it's an old openreach router which doesn't have an accessible gui. It's connected through an old Plusnet Thomson router, set to fibre. I don't think it's made any difference though; i would have expected a period of retaining but it seems to have gone straight back to where it was.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Hi @jonnymccni,

I'm sorry to hear that there's been no improvement. I've placed a request to reset the DLM on your line which should hopefully fix this in the coming days. Should any further problems persist then please drop another message onto this thread and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnymccni
Dabbler

Thanks very much, that seems to have settled things out OK. 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

I'm glad to hear that looks to have sorted the connection out for you @jonnymccni. If there's anything we can help you with moving forwards then please don't hesitate getting back in touch.