cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/N goes up and download speed goes down....again!

FIXED
smilers63
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: S/N goes up and download speed goes down....again!

Hi Chroma2000,
If your line is the same as mine, when the line snr reaches 12db, the download speed will stableize at no lower than 19 Mbs.
chroma2000
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Generally the falling speed doesn't have a great impact on the number of disconnections which on average is still once  a day usually between midnight and 5 am. For a number of months I was getting a consistent 33-35Mbs so having to now make do with around 20Mbs is not acceptable considering how much we pay for line rental.

Ian

chroma2000
Rising Star

Fix

Persistence does pay off eventually.

Having had endless engineers visits for over a year tinkering with the line with no long term fix I've finally had an excellent engineer do a thorough investigation. He found that he could switch me from my old 60's cabling to a line on a 'new' modern cable which had been added to increase capacity. This has boosted my down  sync speed to a stable 40Mbs from 26Mbs and the up sync to 10Mbs from 6Mbs. These could improve further when they get round to re-profiling my line to take advantage of finally having a quality line.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@chroma2000 - that's good news. When I got put onto a clean pair from my house speeds went up but then over time crept back down from 44 to 33 and are just stuck there.

chroma2000
Rising Star

The router stats look very promising so I'm quite confident that finally having the use of new modern cable will finally provide a solution. 

Unfortunately none of the other engineer's considered doing that. They just swapped my line for another line that still used the old sixties aluminium cable.