cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/N goes up and download speed goes down....again!

FIXED
chroma2000
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: S/N goes up and download speed goes down....again!

Hi,

Plusnet really have to get to grips with this problem of downgrading speeds every time there is a spate of dropouts and hoping no one notices. I had to battle for weeks on the previous occasion before they would initiate a 'retrain'. This time for some reason they said there was nothing they could do and it would require an engineers visit, wasting his time and mine. Following his 'reset' to the profile I'm now getting the highest speed I've ever had, (35Mbs up from 23Mbs), but only because I complained otherwise nothing would ever have happened.

This really is not good enough. Maybe it's time OFCOM looked into all this.

Regards, Ian.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @chroma2000 I'm glad to see that the engineer has improved your speeds by resetting your line. As I've mentioned previously, as an ISP we've no control over fibre DLM or your sync speeds. With this in mind, we've done nothing to downgrade your speeds, it looks like that's simply been done by the automated software at the exchange.

If you want to know more about fibre DLM, I'd have a read of this article.

The only way we can request a remote DLM reset on a fibre line is if your sync speeds are showing to be restricted by a banding on our testing, which they weren't as evidenced by your sync rate of 23.8mbps and banding of 30mbps.

The 'retrain' we did last time we should never have done, because it's a bit like smashing open a walnut with a sledgehammer. It may have worked without any issues on that occasion, but it may cause no end of issues next time.

It's also worth noting that banding is applied automatically for a reason, so by arranging an engineer visit they'd be able to ensure that whatever caused the banding is no longer present and then arrange the line to be reset.

In fairness you don't need to complain for us to investigate a speed fault. If you've got a genuine speed fault where your speeds are below where they should be, we'd happily investigate and take the appropriate action, which in this case was to arrange an engineer visit. Apologies for the inconvenience this had caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chroma2000
Rising Star

Here we go again.

The speed is now on a downward path over the last week.. From 33Mbs > 31Mbs > 28Mbs and now 26Mbs.

Once we get to 23Mbs I guess it'll be time for the engineer to visit again, find nothing wrong and do another 'reset'.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @chroma2000,

Sorry to hear your speed has decreased again and I apologise for the frustration caused.

I've performed a couple of tests from this side and everything looks pretty much spot on with the speed side of things. I can see you have had quite a number of drop outs over the past 30 days as per the below graph. With the occurrences appearing to happen during the early hours - is there anything going on in your home during that point? E.g baby monitors/heating turning on/off, DVR recording start etc?

Thanks.

chroma2000
Rising Star

I can't see anything here causing the problem, which is so random. The early morning dropouts, which are slightly more common, are even more unusual as there is nothing much going on then.

The connection has actually now held up for 1 day and 18 hours. It would be useful if that would allow the speed to start to rise again but unfortunately the system only works to reduce it.

I wonder if a better modem would hold sync better. Unfortunately it's not apparent which end of the connection is losing sync.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @chroma2000,

Thanks for getting back to us and I am sorry to see that the issue with your connection is still ongoing. The Hub one is capable of holding a stable connection and we would need to arrange an appointment. I have updated you fault ticket here with further detail.

Please can you let us know here once you have reviewed this and responded.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
chroma2000
Rising Star

Thank you.

I have added 3 possible dates to the fault ticket as requested.

Kind regards, Ian.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @chroma2000 

I've updated the ticket with your engineer time and date. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

chroma2000
Rising Star

Thank you.

The speed has edged up a little to 27Mbs and 10dB s/n and is only dropping out every 2 days or so now.

Kind regards, Ian.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

No worries, glad to hear it's starting to get better for you.

Please let us know how the engineer appointment goes.

Thanks .

chroma2000
Rising Star

Hi,

The engineer checked and remade all the accessible joins from the cabinet to the premises.

After resetting the line it's now back to 35Mbs. Only time will tell if this has all been successful. If not there are more joins that could be responsible but these will require more manpower to investigate. Fingers crossed this won't be necessary.

Ian

jonthemorsk37
Hooked

After phoning plusnet to end my contract, the guy said he would match the price and send me a new router to up my speed. Until that point, I had not had a seconds trouble. Since then, I have been experiencing dropouts, 3 or 4 a day and my speed at the moment is less than 4Mbps. It was supposedly 'fixed' a week ago. I was told by some call centre wallah that I could have a morning or afternoon appointment and that it was out of their control. I pay plusnet for my broadband, not BT, so this is unacceptable. Anyway, he came out and told me it was fixed. One week later, exactly the same issue, and the guy in "tech support" (haha yeah right) went through exactly the same script, blaming it on probably the wiring in my house. Which clearly it isnt. The engineer told me that a week ago. Now Im told that it is copper wire connections. In fibre optic? So it isnt really fibe optic then is it if it has copper wire. Anyway, at 4mps they are in breach of their own contract, but I garuntee if I try and leave they will cry and have a hissy fit. I said to their bloke that I bet if I didnt pay that they would send someone round quick enough. he said that he couldnt possibly comment. Weak. Not even been offered a free month for my trouble.

Bottom line, I will tell anyone who listens how poor this company is and why. The only thing they have going for them is that they arent sky.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @jonthemorsk37,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue  with your connection and for any inconvenience this experience has caused. Our suppliers have investigated externally and would like us to arrange an appointment to allow the engineer to have full access to the network to locate the issue.

I have updated the fault ticket here, please can you update the thread here when you have reviewed this and responded with your availability.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jonthemorsk37
Hooked

They already told me they want the engineer to visit my house for the second time in a week. If you bothered to read the report you would see that the fault is not on my premises. My major gripe is that you are in breech of contract for the second time in two weeks and are carrying on like it is not your fault, but mine or BTs. I pay you the extortionate price, you sort it out. I have had no apology or no offer of compensation, just, as I say, lacklustre service at best.

I want to change suppliers. You have not kept your part of the contract

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @jonthemorsk37 

We've read the engineer notes and they state: "Engineer was unable to identify the cause of the fault. I have visited end customer premises and no fault was found. On going cabling work awaiting dig and new cable"

7 days later we received confirmation that this work was completed and the fault is closed in the Openreach systems.

We've retested your line and that's showing "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report." with the estimated fault location near your property.

Unfortunately there is no way we'd be able to open a new fault report with Openreach without arranging an engineer visit, because the supplier system is largely automated and the result of a line test decides how a fault is progressed.

While this isn't to 'pass the buck' to our suppliers as I understand you've ordered a service from Plusnet, I'm afraid that there isn't anything we can directly do to resolve a physical line fault you're experiencing and the only option we have with our suppliers at this point is to arrange an engineer visit with yourself.

With regards to an apology I believe my colleague apologised above, I also do sincerely apologise you're having issues with your service. Once this is resolved we'll be happy to look at a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience caused. Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet