cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryanair App fails on all devices. Why ?

FIXED
Des2
Grafter

Re: Ryanair App fails on all devices. Why ?

To replicate the issue the PN tech team need to use one of the ex US IPs then use the Ryanair app as customers often use it, moving dates and departure airports around when choosing which flights to book....

Don’t assume that because it works first or second time that there isn’t an issue. Put some dates in for a flight, get a price, click to put that flight in your basket, decide against so go back, put some different dates and/or a different departure airport in etc. After a while something gets confused in the whole system and that is it for all devices sharing that IP for the rest of the day. The same for the RA website....

As I say, it is the going back and forth within the app to check the different prices from different airports on different dates that eventually (but quite quickly) confuses the app. I am no expert but there must be a conflict somewhere between the IP locations, the former IP locations (US) and maybe the geolocation in the device. The latter is less clear as it fails on the RA website on a laptop with no geolocation....

hsbc1972
Grafter

@Des2 I don't understand the IP bit but as a simple User your description of the problem is spot on.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @hsbc1972, thanks for getting back to us and confirming you tried the router powered down last night. I can confirm this had the desired effect when looking over your account as a new dynamic IP address was assigned to you however this address also looks to have an incorrect geolocation when checking https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

In which case I've raised this to our back end team to investigate and hopefully resolve the 2 IP issues you've seen. In the meantime, if you power the router down for 65 minutes or longer at some point then this should assign you another IP address hopefully resolving the issue in the meantime.

hsbc1972
Grafter

@BD @Des2 

Thanks Ben. I havent a clue what my geolocation is, what is should be or why its important to me (apart from sorting out the Ryanair issue), thankfully there are others that do, including you.

Lets hope it can be resolved. I'm very surprised only 2 people have reported this.

Des2
Grafter

Hi hsbc,

The reason I strongly suspect the issue is linked to the dynamic IPs given to us by PN is that they swapped me over to a static IP for a couple of weeks a few months ago and it solved the issue. But after a while they were keen to swap me back which they did. Then I stopped checking whether the problem returned or not for a month or two and only got around to checking again in the last couple of weeks to discover the problem was back.

As I say PN have been offered a static IP for a one off £5 very recently but I don’t understand the repercussions of that from a security standpoint....and I don’t want to go down that route when like you I just want it to work without messing around like this.

The dynamic IPs were are assigned were originally for US based addresses but supposedly have been reconfigured over to the U.K. But I do wonder whether there is some legacy code somewhere which does not recognise them as U.K. and so causes the issue....

All this makes it sound like I know what I’m talking about but really I don’t.....

Des2
Grafter

I have been offered a static IP by PN for £5.....

hsbc1972
Grafter

@Des2 

Thanks for the info.

If a company can't provide a reliable service to all its paying customers I fail to see why the customer has to pay more for that reliable service. I'm surprised that PN with its excellent customer services reputation would be that penny pinching, however, maybe times have changed.  

hsbc1972
Grafter

@BD 

You mention '2 IP issues I have seen', if you mean the issues with Ryanair website becoming inaccessable it happens every day I try and search for flights and has been ongoing for several weeks, so its many more than 2 ocassions.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @hsbc1972

@BD hasn't insinuated that the issue is on Rynaair's side, one of the IP addressed that's being assigned to your connection is not located in the UK, which might be causing the issue. He's raised this matter with our NetOps Team for further investigation, so we'll be in touch once a response is received. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
hsbc1972
Grafter

@adam945 @BD 

Hi Adam,

I only mentioned it to clarify that there have been more than 2 ocassions. I do appreciate that it's nothing to do with Ryanair just claryifying thats its happened more than twice, maybe I should have said nothing !

The PN support has been very responsive and hope to get a successful resolution soon.

hsbc1972
Grafter

just to confirm its still happening every day and getting tiresome now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@hsbc1972

I'm sorry to see you're having issues loading the Ryan Air app on your broadband connection. For clarification this is what's known as a geolocation issue, which means the database they're looking the IP addresses from is out of date.

I can see since the Ben raised the task to NetOps you had got a different IP, which is showing as in the UK on some geolocation databases and US on others. You can check by putting the address into IP Location Here.

To find out your IP all you'd need to do is go to a site such as This.

We're still waiting for a response from our NetOps team. I'm not sure though what we can do from this end but we'll provide an update as soon as we know more. In the meantime, are you able to use mobile data to get onto the app?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hsbc1972
Grafter

Why doesnt it happen when I use my mobile data ? My mobile provider is Talkmobile (vodafone) what are they doing that Plusnet are not ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

That would be because you'd likely have an IP address from a completely different range. 

With regards to why the geolocation database isn't kept up to date, that's not something within our direct influence.

When we know more from NetOps we'll be sure to let you know. For now at least you can actually use the app Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hsbc1972
Grafter

Whilst this problem isnt the most pressing and I accept thats there's more important things to worry about in the world I am indeed able to access the Ryanair website and delighted that Vodafone are able to provide a stable and reliable route for my regular searches.