Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryanair App fails on all devices. Why ?

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Ryanair App fails on all devices. Why ?

Thanks for getting back to us @Des2

I've just added a static IP onto your account to try to get to the bottom of this odd issue.

Can you reboot your router and let us know how it goes afterwards?

[edit]

Actually turns out a static IP isn't activating on your account for some reason. I've never seen this happen before. 

If you can leave this with me I'd like to do some digging and I'll get back to you on Wednesday at the latest.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Des2
Grafter

Thank you. I shall wait to hear from you. Clearly my account is unusual and has caught your interest so I hope we can get to the bottom of it. Please let me know when you have any info.

This issue aside I have long thought the quality of my connection to be average at best so I hope there is a solution.....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Des2, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try and try again. 

Happy to confirm after battling the system, a static IP is now applied.

Can you reboot your router and check the Ryan Air app?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Des2
Grafter

Thank you for all your efforts today. I shall reboot my router tomorrow and report back. 

Des2
Grafter

Update.....

Prior to rebooting the router I have just tried the RA app on my IPad. Like previous mornings it worked for a while and I started to think the new IP address must be in place without the reboot. But eventually it failed with the regular error message.

I then went over to my phone with WiFi and as expected it failed straight away.

I then rebooted my router (with some trepidation as I feared losing internet altogether) and tried the app on both IPad and phone and it is working so far so something has changed.

But I stress it is too early to be sure the problem is fixed so I will keep testing the app today and report back.

Are there any disadvantages to being on a static IP address ? I just want to be sure that if the problem is solved we are not using a sledgehammer to crack a relatively small nut ?

Thanks for your efforts on this issue. Plusnet has just gone up considerably in my estimation after discovering and using this forum.

I shall report back later....

Des

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

No downsides to using static ip - some might say it makes your connection more vulnerable to 'hackers' but it doesn't really.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Des2
Grafter

Thanks. Still working fine but will give it a bit longer before clicking Fixed My Problem. 

Can’t fault the service I’ve received on this forum....

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Des2,

I've just checked your account this afternoon and I can see that a reboot took place earlier on today - did @Gandalf's change do the trick?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@Des2 wrote:

Thanks. Still working fine but will give it a bit longer before clicking Fixed My Problem. 

Can’t fault the service I’ve received on this forum....

I’m glad to see it looks like a static IP’s sorted the problem, although this shouldn’t be a solution as there’s no reason why one of our dynamic IP ranges should have an issue with the Ryan Air app.

Keep us posted on how it goes, if the static does permanently fix the issue, I’d like to raise this with our networks team to take a closer look. 

I’m happy to leave the static on though regardless.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Des2
Grafter

Update....

So so far so good. Just tried the app again and no issues. Will try it a few more times in the coming days.

Will the static IP compromise my Internet speed at all ? I’m only getting 5-8Mbps which isn’t great for fibre but is enough for my usage. However I don’t want it to fall any lower....

I shall notify this thread if there is any change. 

Thanks to all at Plusnet and all those others who took the time to reply.

Des

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation @Des2 

Having a static IP shouldn’t affect your speed but I’ll raise this with our networks team and at some point I may ask you to try out a dynamic IP if that’d be OK?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Des2
Grafter

That’s fine. I am happy to help improve your understanding of the issue assuming that my internet performance is not impacted for very long.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Des2 

Just to follow up and echo the comments I've left on ticket ref 216942513 in case this is helpful to anybody else with a similar issue. Our networks team have carried out an investigation and can see that the dynamic IP you had before I assigned you a static IP is ex-USA geolocating to the UK, so Ryan Air may be inadvertently blocking this.

We'd recommend you contact Ryan Air (Potentially from Here) to explain you have a dynamic IP that was US but is geolocating to UK and that their app does not work on that IP address.

As we've got to the bottom of the issue from our side, I've removed the static IP from your account.

Could you reboot your router when you can and let me know how it goes? You may get a different dynamic IP and if the app works, we'd still recommend contacting Ryan Air to make them aware that their app doesn't work on the affected dynamic IP address. I've added what the IPs are onto the ticket for you. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Des2
Grafter

Hi there,

As requested I have now rebooted my router. 

Is my new dynamic IP address the same as before (supplied to me by your colleague in a secure message) or if it is different does it still have the same ex-USA geolocating back to the U.K. property ? 

I shall wait for your reply before investigating whether the issue with the RA app persists, and if it does I shall do as you ask and take it up with RA.

Regards,

Des

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Des2 

I'm not sure what you're referring to by a secure message but if you mean the ticket 216942513 I'm the only person who's been replying to that. Gandalf is my forum username, my full name is in my signature and on the bottom of the ticket replies.

Thanks for rebooting your router, I can see you've got a different dynamic IP address now. I can't see if this address has the same issue as the information from the previous address came from our networks team. 

Let me know if you have issues still though and I'll happily take it back to them to confirm or advise further. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet