cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running home VPN server and Technicolor TG582n

tonofun

Running home VPN server and Technicolor TG582n

This has been bugging me the last few hours now - I have a 2012 R2 box at home that I've just set up as a RRAS (Routing and Remote Access) VPN server.  I'm now on Fibre, with the Technicolor TG582n NAT router and std BT OpenReach modem / ethernet bridge.
I've set up the required port forwarding for PPTP based VPN tunnels (TCP 1723) from the WAN to the internal VPN server IP.  I can get the initial connection process to start, but it fails shortly after during authentication with error 806, connection could not be completed.  This blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2009/08/12/troubleshooting-common-vpn-related-errors.asp... suggests an issue with the required GRE protocol PPTP data stream pass-thru with the Technicolor TG582n NAT router.
Another post somewhere on this forum suggested enabling the "GRE" 'service' listed in the Telnet interface of the router [service system list], but doing that hasn't helped either.
Can anyone else suggest anything to get this router to play ball with PPTP connections?  The other choice in front of me is SSTP, which means dealing with the pain of certificates, and signing and chaining etc etc uugh...  I'd probably have to pay for a domain name and a dynamic dns service to keep it pointed at my WAN IP, and then I'd need a signed SSL certificate for the domain blah blah blah.
3 REPLIES 3
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Running home VPN server and Technicolor TG582n

Hi
what firmware are you on you may need to be the older version (8 point something) as there are a few posts on here about trouble with VPN's.
Also look here http://npr.me.uk/vpnissue.html#vpnpptp for commands to run via telnet.
It may be better to use a different modem/router.
Ian
tonofun

Cheers for the tip off Ian.
My firmware version is: 10.2.5.2.FO.  It's a brand new router as supplied by PlusNet last month.
As far as new router's go then (ugh!), anyone here have (good) experience with their choice of kit and PPTP based VPN's?
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Are you after a one box solution (ie VDSL modem built in) then go for a billion or if you are after a device for just the pppoe connection an asus rtn66u or an ac version if you are after faster wireless.
Ian