cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running extension from BT Master NTE for Fibre

spillpot

Running extension from BT Master NTE for Fibre

I've just joined PlusNet and will be getting my new fibre connection installed soon. I've read a few of the existing posts regarding positioning of the BT Master socket and the potential to relocate it. My NTE master is located such that there are no power sockets near it. However, there is a telephone extension already wired into it that goes to an outlet I currently use for my existing BT Hub 4 ADSL router and DECT phone. The wiring between the master and this extension is over normal telephone cable, about 7m in length. Unfortunately it's all behind plaster board so can't be replaced with Cat 5 cable.  The cable has 4 wires in it, connected to pins 2,3,4,5.
I note that the new VSDL faceplate has connections for a VSDL extension. Is it possible to use 2 wires from the extension cable for the phone line (connected to pins 5 and 2) and use the other 2 wires (removed from pins 3 and 4) for the VSDL signal, then replace the extension faceplate with the dual socket VSDL extension faceplate?  I shouldn't need the orange ring wire connected to pin 3 as I only use the one modern DECT with 3 additional handsets. 
If this isn't possible, I assume I'm going to have to run an extension cat5 cable from the master around the floor (which will look a bit ugly) in order to reach the power sockets and my preferred router location.
Also, will 7m of normal telephone wire make much of a difference to the speed and signal quality I receive compared to twisted pairs?  I know it's more susceptible to interference but I'm hoping 7m is fairly short and won't make much difference for the sake of a neater wiring solution.
Hopefully the Openreach engineer can advise me on the day of installation, but I'd like to be prepared and understand the options open to me ahead of time.
5 REPLIES 5
martin2006
Grafter

Re: Running extension from BT Master NTE for Fibre

My fibre face plate is by my front door with no power socket. i run an ethernet cable directly from the face plate up my wall, through my bathroom , up into the loft and back down into my spare bedroom where my modem router is. The phone cable does the same route up to my cordless phone base also in my spare room. not sure that is what you asked. i also tried it with the BT supplied modem and plusnet wireless router before i got my Zyxel
the cables running up the wall are boxed in so not visible
Dezz
Dabbler

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I had the same issue with no power near the master socket. I ran a CAT6 cable under the floor to the computer room. The installer kroned the end of that cable into the A B terminals of the master socket (unfiltered terminals). At the other end I have a simple RJ11 line box.
If I were you, I would try using the existing cable. Yes twisted pair is less prone to noise but you may be absolutely fine. I would have the end of that cable (master socket end) kroned into the A B terminals of the MK3 master socket (the installer will do that for you). It makes for a neater installation as nothing is plugged into the top socket of the master socket.
At the other end, use the VDSL extension faceplate (or whatever you have). I prefer not to use a standard telephone extension socket just so it is clear you shouldn't be plugging a phone into it. If you have ordered a VDSL extension with your install (it is included in the price but I think you have to ask for it), then it comes with cable and a RJ11 linebox. The RJ11 linebox can be used to save you some money if you haven't already bought the dual VDSL extension faceplate.
The BT supplied modem comes with a flat RJ11 to RJ11 cable. You can replace that with a twisted pair cable if you like for a few pounds.
Remember, if you currently have a phone plugged in at that extension location, then you won't be able to plug it in there anymore, because that extension is now unflitered (there are ways around that, like adding a microfilter, but it defeats the purpose of having one filter in the master socket).
Once you are up and running, you could use an unlocked modem and monitor your line stats. You could also use a length of twisted pair cable, and just run it through the house from the master socket to the modem, and see if it makes an improvement, just as a test, and probably only if you are having issues. All that is a long way away. For now, I think using the existing cabling is a good start.

supernova1
Grafter

I had the same problem, master socket 6m from any mains power Cry
I've now got my modem mounted right next to the master socket and power the modem using a POe splitter.
This runs the 12v down the ethernet cable using the unused pairs.
I was unsure about the voltage drop over 6m of cat 5 cable, but I made up a M-F DC adaptor so that I could test the voltage at the modem end while it,s synced and running - this is 11.5v
So far the modem is running very happily, right next to the master socket  (no risk of phone extension to mess up my speed) and my router / NAS and othe network stuff set up next to the mains.

I got the splitter off the Bay for a fiver
Photo below.
ATB
SN
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Very nice solution Supernova1. I need to run a test sometime by plugging the router directly into the master socket and see if I get any improvement. If I do, I can use your solution to power the modem as I have no power nearby.