Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running at way below sync speed after house move

FIXED
camerongray1515
Dabbler

Running at way below sync speed after house move

Hi,

I've previously tried to get help with this over the phone but haven't had much luck beyond them sending me a Plusnet router to test with.  Thought I'd try here while I wait for that to arrive.

I recently arranged a house move for my Unlimited Fibre Extra package.  At the old property I was quite far from the cabinet so synced at around 40 down and 10 up, and got quite close to both of those in actual speed tests.  On moving in here, I find that I'm now syncing at 73.78mbps down and 20mbps up which is what I'd expected since I'm much nearer to the cabinet.  However, while my upload speed has improved significantly, my download is still stuck at around 40mbps (and seems to max out pretty cleanly at 40mbps).

I performed the BT Wholesale TAP3 test where I changed my PPPoE username and this gave a download speed of 69mbps which makes me suspect the issue isn't with equipment on my end.  I've attached both of these results to my post.

As far as the equipment I have - I'm using an ECI Telecom Openreach modem along with the Openreach MK3 faceplate on the master socket with the modem connected into that.  I'm currently using my own router however I experience the same performance if I completely remove the router and connect the modem directly to a laptop.

Just wondering if anyone can investigate or suggest things to try? I'm struggling to see the fault being on my end given that the TAP3 test returns the correct speed.

Thanks,
Cameron

BT Wholesale Test 1.png

BT Wholesale TAP3 Test.png

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Running at way below sync speed after house move

It could be that Plusnet have not updated your profile. I would contact them again and ask the question

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi have a look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

you will need to enter your account details to view it, once done it should show what Profile Plusnet have set, it needs to be in-line with the BTW IP profile if it isn't then there is your issue and you will need Plusnet to fix their profile. 

camerongray1515
Dabbler

Bingo, thanks for pointing out that page!  It's still showing details of the old property including the old sync speed.  Knew it would be something like that and not my router like the guy on the phone seemed to be convinced it was!  Will try calling again, wish me luck! Tongue

Untitled.png

Terranova667
Pro

No worries glad to see that the issue has been found, hopefully you will get someone on the phone that knows what they are doing and can sort it for you quickly enough.

camerongray1515
Dabbler

Excellent, got through to someone, spent a while trying to explain the issue, got put on hold to investigate it, call cut out.  Now back at the start of the queue again... I don't suppose anyone on here can look into it?

Terranova667
Pro

Sadly forum Support staff wont be around at this time, that said i haven't seen any of them on the forum since early last week, so whilst i would normally say you might have to wait until tomorrow i cant say when some will appear I have been waiting myself since last Thursday for someone to update my plusnet profile.

camerongray1515
Dabbler

Finally got through to someone again who was convinced that the profile shown on that page doesn't matter and that "They tested my line and it shows that it's running at 80 meg"

At least this time they have raised it as a fault so that might get someone to actually look into the profile properly.

Not particularly impressed with how this whole move has gone - First I was put on the wrong contract length, updating that ended up with the install date getting pushed back twice, the service then disconnected at the old property several days before it was due to go live at the new one and now I'm having this issue with different engineers telling me different things every time I call them.  Oh well... At least I have some sort of connection!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Just because the line is in sync at 80Mbps doesn't mean that Plusnet are not throttling throughput back to 40Mbps in their system.

For the record are you on a Static IP address? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

@Baldrick1 wrote:

For the record are you on a Static IP address? 

I believe this was the key thing here.

@camerongray1515 wrote:

Finally got through to someone again who was convinced that the profile shown on that page doesn't matter and that "They tested my line and it shows that it's running at 80 meg"

The profile on the account would affect the speeds if you're on a static IP, so hopefully this was resolved yesterday when the profile was corrected.

I do apologise for any inconvenience this has been causing, however I hope that the speeds have improved following the profile change.

Having said this, your connection does appear to be dropping out more than I'd like to see, so this could cause DLM to start reducing the speeds to try and stabilise the drops.

If you are still experiencing speed issues or if the connection drops continue, please could you report a fault over at https://faults.plus.net so we can get this raised with our suppliers for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
camerongray1515
Dabbler

Thanks, that's great, everything is working fine now!  I'm still in the process of moving in so have been moving and unplugging the network equipment and had power off to do some electrical work which would explain most/all of those drops.  Everything now is in its final location so the modem should be able to remain left on for a good while, may just need to reboot the router a few times to do some more configuration.